Menu
NorBdelta
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

WAN Lease Time Too Short

Is it possible to request a longer WAN lease time allocation? The current Seven days it too short.

Currently, the short lease time has been quite annoying when playing games online, especially MMOs where a disconnect while participating is very annoying, and the lease always seems to coincide with the busy time periods. At the moment it appears that the lease times are seven days and this amount allocated has remained the same at least one year.

And I think it is something I should not have to schedule around. And you cannot manually force it to renew its lease. Upon reconnection, the same lease time remains, so for instance, if you were to reset the router with 10mins remaining on the WAN lease time, upon reconnection it still retains the remaining 10mins then disconnects and renews the lease when that time runs out.

Currently on the 200Mb package with co-ax connection and possess the Superhub 2 if these are relevant.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: WAN Lease Time Too Short

the lease renewal can not be changed and it wont disconnect you when it renews. If its disconnecting its not normal and shouldn't be
0 Kudos
NorBdelta
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It doesn't disconnect my computer, it terminates my WAN connection and the router loses its WAN IP address, hence the problem I face. Just to reiterate my LAN IP renewal is instant and disconnection free, it is the WAN lease that is the problem. And when the lease expires all the downstream and upstream channels disconnect and the reconnection time is quite lengthy ~5mins.

screenshot-192.168.0.1 2017-01-08 17-57-47.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

that is the point. the ip address will renew before it expires and shouldn't lose the wan connetion at all
0 Kudos
NorBdelta
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ah, so do you think there is a problem then and I should contact Virgin Support? Because at the moment it only renews when the lease expires, and it is by no means instant reconnection (as I said ~5mins) Otherwise, I am facing no other issues, my ping and line speeds are perfectly stable.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

there seems to be a problem. have you tried a factory reset on the router in case its a corrupt firmware/setting somewhere
0 Kudos
NorBdelta
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ok, I have done a factory reset as you have advised and I will have to get back to you when the lease expires on Thursday.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

let us know. it it still disconnects the connection by Thursday VM should of seen the post and might have some other ideas
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi NorBdelta,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're getting drop outs. The hub dropping connection at IP renew is a known bug with the Hub 2 I'm afraid. The lease time should be set to 7 days and you can reboot the hub manually so that it will renew at a time you're not using it to avoid inconvenience.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
NorBdelta
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

forgive the delay in reply. It disconnected when the lease expired and took about 4mins to acquire a new lease and WAN address so definitely not seamless.

0 Kudos