Menu
cwatty
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Vivid200 User - What should I be able to Stream to YouTube/Twitch at?

So I'm a Vivid200 customer, not upgraded yet to the new VividGamer package here at Virginmedia. I check my connection speeds frequently and get fairly consistent results:

So why when I'm trying to do any livestreaming from my PC or Playstation 4 am I really struggling to get a good upload rate, to provide a constant reliable flow of information so the stream doesn't keep losing video and audio and dropping out? I know Twitch puts caps in place for channels without a certain number of followers and subscribers so the maximum upload rate you can stream to their ingest servers is 3.5mb/s, on YouTube I'm getting issues even streaming as low as 2.5Mb/s with them reporting issues with the Stream Health and not receiving enough data. I've tried using different software and methods of streaming OBS, XSplit, Elgato Game Capture, nVidia Share, PS4 Shareplay and I get the same problems with all of them regardless of settings.

So when I have a 12.26Mb/s Upload Rate why am I not able to upload at even a quarter of that to the various streaming platforms for gamers? Both my PC and PS4 are cable connected, I don't use wireless so that shouldn't be causing any issues. My PS4 is also set to use the DMZ so shouldn't have any restrictions on it's input or output.

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid200 User - What should I be able to Stream to YouTube/Twitch at?

cwatty wrote:

So I'm a Vivid200 customer, not upgraded yet to the new VividGamer package here at Virginmedia. I check my connection speeds frequently and get fairly consistent results:

So why when I'm trying to do any livestreaming from my PC or Playstation 4 am I really struggling to get a good upload rate, to provide a constant reliable flow of information so the stream doesn't keep losing video and audio and dropping out? I know Twitch puts caps in place for channels without a certain number of followers and subscribers so the maximum upload rate you can stream to their ingest servers is 3.5mb/s, on YouTube I'm getting issues even streaming as low as 2.5Mb/s with them reporting issues with the Stream Health and not receiving enough data. I've tried using different software and methods of streaming OBS, XSplit, Elgato Game Capture, nVidia Share, PS4 Shareplay and I get the same problems with all of them regardless of settings.

So when I have a 12.26Mb/s Upload Rate why am I not able to upload at even a quarter of that to the various streaming platforms for gamers? Both my PC and PS4 are cable connected, I don't use wireless so that shouldn't be causing any issues. My PS4 is also set to use the DMZ so shouldn't have any restrictions on it's input or output.

Are you on the stock Vivid 200 or the gamer, the stock 200 has upstream traffic management which reduces your upstream bandwidth if you go over a certain amount, this bandwidth cap is shared by all devices connected so if someone is using a lot of upstream then you'll get capped and then have a massively reduced amount of bandwidth to stream with, are the issues instant or are you able to stream for a while before it becomes an issue

0 Kudos
cwatty
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I'm on the Stock Vivid200 Broadband. I've not upgraded to the Gamer package as for some reason when I look at my Upgrade Offers its going to add an extra £100 onto my monthly bill, which I really don't think is fair when I'm already paying £130 a month for my current Broadband/TV/Phone package. All those people who got the upgrade for an extra £5 must have been really lucky.

The only devices using my broadband connection are my PC, PS4 and my LG TV. I have no devices connecting wirelessly. Everything is hard wired to a Asus RT-N66U router which then connects to my Super Hub 2, which is in modem only configuration.

As for the last part regarding the streaming, sometimes it would be a case that I could start off streaming fine at a low bitrate and then after a period it would then get worse. However now it's pretty much instant. I just tried a test this morning to start a stream on YouTube, using my Elgato Software, I set it to 2.00Mb/s upload which the software automatically then sets the video to 720p 30FPS and the moment I hit 'Stream' in the software I checked the Health on the Live Stream Monitor on YouTube and it was fluctuating between Yellow and Red status, saying it was not receiving sufficient data. I then stopped and switched the software to stream to my Twitch account and had pretty much the same experience, with Twitch notifying me the stream wasn't meeting their criteria for data received, bitrate and key frame interval etc.

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

cwatty wrote:

I'm on the Stock Vivid200 Broadband. I've not upgraded to the Gamer package as for some reason when I look at my Upgrade Offers its going to add an extra £100 onto my monthly bill, which I really don't think is fair when I'm already paying £130 a month for my current Broadband/TV/Phone package. All those people who got the upgrade for an extra £5 must have been really lucky.

The only devices using my broadband connection are my PC, PS4 and my LG TV. I have no devices connecting wirelessly. Everything is hard wired to a Asus RT-N66U router which then connects to my Super Hub 2, which is in modem only configuration.

As for the last part regarding the streaming, sometimes it would be a case that I could start off streaming fine at a low bitrate and then after a period it would then get worse. However now it's pretty much instant. I just tried a test this morning to start a stream on YouTube, using my Elgato Software, I set it to 2.00Mb/s upload which the software automatically then sets the video to 720p 30FPS and the moment I hit 'Stream' in the software I checked the Health on the Live Stream Monitor on YouTube and it was fluctuating between Yellow and Red status, saying it was not receiving sufficient data. I then stopped and switched the software to stream to my Twitch account and had pretty much the same experience, with Twitch notifying me the stream wasn't meeting their criteria for data received, bitrate and key frame interval etc.

And just to double check this is a hardwired connection and you're not actually trying to stream via a wireless connection right?

Also is this a hub 2 or a hub 3 because there ar eknown latency issues with the hub 3 even in modem mode

Its possible there could be an issue with the power levels or there could be intermittent packet loss, i mean my money is more on traffic management so i would make sure nothing else is using the connection during peak times, what sort of time of the day are you attempting to stream at as its also possible there is a utilisation issue in your area which would affect speeds at peak hours

Traffic management on the vivid 200 kicks in at 2.2GB used in a 60 minute window, now in theory a 2mbps stream should top out at about 900mb an hour give or take, which isn't much but is bordering on the 40% mark for total allowable bandwidth before caps, this is also before the data used by the game itself and also won't include any other background applications or data use from other devices

0 Kudos
cwatty
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yeah PC, PS4 and TV are all Ethernet Wired to the Router. I don't use anything on a wireless connection because that causes a reduction in speeds.

I'm currently equipped with a Super Hub 2 as I haven't upgraded to the Gamer Plan which is where they provide the Super Hub 3.

Power Levels are okay as I actually had an engineer to correct that problem last summer when I upgraded to my current Vivid 200 Plan and was struggling to get anywhere near the advertised speeds. I currently mainly try to stream between the hours of 9-5 because I know from previous experiences trying to stream in the evenings is a waste of time due to the amount of internet traffic in the world and I believe congestion with Virgin's system and previously their traffic management which would always kick in around 4pm lasting most of the evening.
0 Kudos