Menu
Blinker
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Vivid 200 vs vivid 200 gamer

I play online on ps4, sometimes I run 2 ps4. I don't stream game play so I wondering is it worth getting the gamer package. Will the vivid 200 upload thresholds ever effect me just playing online and no streaming.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid 200 vs vivid 200 gamer

If you don't stream then IMHO the Gamer tier would be a waste of money, unless you do other things that would benefit from faster upload speeds, but it has no impact on gaming alone. Also if you currently have a SH2 it would require an upgrade to the Hub 3 which is very likely to be worse for gaming due to the Puma chip latency issue.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Blinker
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yes I have read about superhub 3. I have 2ac. It's just recently I've noticed that my upload on ps4 isnt great. It fail the shareplay connection test a lot. I'm hard wired. And I use shareplay to play my nephew a few games. Never had an issue with it till the last few weeks.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If you use Shareplay a lot then you are actually streaming your game to your Nephew's PS4 so that will use more upload bandwidth than regular online gaming.  It doesn't need the extra bandwidth (minimum required is only 5Mbps) but if you use it a lot at peak times then having the unmetered uploads that the Gamer tier provides may be of benefit.

Having said that if it worked before and doesn't work now then that is more likely to be a fault, unless you play more at peak times now and are falling foul of the traffic management policy which can slow your upload speed.  I wouldn't put much faith in the Sony tests as they are notoriously inaccurate and if it fails that could just be because Sony's server is overloaded.  If you are experiencing issues while actually using shareplay, then it would be worth testing your speed to see if you have been throttled, or perhaps have a fault.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

Blinker
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

That's the thing. I dont play that much with him. But just lately I'm unable to even do that. The actual test on shareplay says my internet isnt good enough. Now I know 12mb upload should be perfect as I've never had any issues at any other time I've played with my nephew even during peak hours. I guess it more of an issue with virgin and I don't think upgradING to gamer package wold make a blind bit of difference.
0 Kudos
Blinker
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

l reading all the other gamers on xbox and ps4 having issues. This has only been happening last few weeks. I know it not traffic management as I am totally unable to even start shareplay. Which means I actually not even uploading a thIng. I suppose to be getting v6 fitted on 25th. I guess If it not emproved by the 25th could cancel.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Blinker wrote:
l reading all the other gamers on xbox and ps4 having issues. This has only been happening last few weeks. I know it not traffic management as I am totally unable to even start shareplay. Which means I actually not even uploading a thIng. I suppose to be getting v6 fitted on 25th. I guess If it not emproved by the 25th could cancel.

I have seen the Xbox users having difficulties recently, where are you seeing PS4 gamers having issues?  I haven't been gaming online with my PS4 for a few weeks, but not aware of anything changing.

Could you maybe try a test with the hub in modem mode, to see if that makes a difference?  If it does then that points to a routing issue with the hub which I wouldn't see as I run in modem mode with my own router, but it would be helpful diagnostic information.

0 Kudos
Blinker
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Just some post on here. And other people on my friends list on psn. The time I had issues before was about 2yrs ago and that was my area network need upgrading. I hope this isn't a sign that my area needs upgrading again and I will have bad internet for months on end. I'd be grateful of some one from vm could look into my area and see if it due to high demand.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If you want a staff response, I'll stop posting as each post on the thread puts you to the back of the forum team's queue.

For what it is worth I have just tried a Shareplay test on my PS4 and it came back as good, so whatever is wrong it is not something that is impacting everybody.

0 Kudos
Omar7733
Dialled in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Blinker wrote:
I play online on ps4, sometimes I run 2 ps4. I don't stream game play so I wondering is it worth getting the gamer package. Will the vivid 200 upload thresholds ever effect me just playing online and no streaming.

It doesn't make a difference at all. I wish it did but you can give it a try and they might allow you to downgrade if it doesn't work at for you. 

0 Kudos