Menu
DS4130
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Vivid 200 Gamer - Massive Latency Spikes - Cancel?

Have just switched Virgin on Saturday and online gaming is now impossible on any of my devices due to huge latency spikes, in both Modem only and with the hub 3.0 doing routing.

Sounds like this may be due to hardware issues with the modems Intel chipset, as I'm still within the cooling off period would the best solution be to cancel the contract?

Regards

48ms : xx
49ms : xx
50ms : x
51ms : xx
52ms : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
53ms : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
54ms : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
55ms : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
56ms : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
57ms : xxxxx
58ms : xxx
59ms : xxx
60ms : x
61ms : x
62ms : xxxxxxx
63ms : x
64ms : xx
65ms : x
69ms : x
72ms : xxx
78ms : x
88ms : x
91ms : x
92ms : x
100 - 149ms :xxxxxxxxxxx
150 - 199ms :xxxxx
200 - 249ms :xx
250 - 299ms :x
300 - 349ms :x
400 - 449ms :x
500 - 549ms :xx
550 - 599ms :x
650 - 699ms :x
750 - 799ms :x
800 - 849ms :x
850 - 899ms :x

0 Kudos
mobculture
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid 200 Gamer - Massive Latency Spikes - Cancel?

If I still had that opportunity, I would cancel. The service just isn't fit for gaming purpose with the awful Hub 3 and no indication of when it will be fixed.

0 Kudos
DS4130
Tuning in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the prompt reply, sorry to hear this news though!

Still have a fiber service running which although much slower has never given latency problems.

The Virgin cables were only laid on my street a few weeks ago and am shocked a 'gamer' package could be so unfit for purpose, will have to pass this information onto my gaming neighbors before it's too late!

KieranGiles92
Tuning in
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

If you game, cancel immediately and go to a slower but more reliable service if you have that option.

I'd have reliable 16Mbps connection over spikey 80Mbps any day of the week.

Coming from someone who's tried to game reliably on Virgin connections for years and failed miserably.

0 Kudos
mobculture
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

The worst thing is that they won't even acknowledge the problem. In my call to customer retention today they said everything was running fine and it was a "problem with my PC chipset". They literally have no idea what they are talking about. It is a sad state of affairs.

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media Hub 3That's the results of pings to my router. My PC isn't involved there at all.
DS4130
Tuning in
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Agreed this is a proablem that basic level customer service are not able to understand or advise upon. For work I mange a number of networks acrosss different offices, so while not an expert I have reasonable knowledge to understand the issue is not with my home equipment. The property is fully CAT6 cabled and use a more than adequate Netgear D7000 router with business class gigabit switches.

Really disappointed with Virgin, especially when the clear solution of running a different modem is not allowed.

fad3duk
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

If you can get them to give you a Superhub 2ac, that'll most likely solve your issues. The Superhub 3 has an intel bug (which intel has patched but VM has not yet) - it causes latency and packet loss due to the processor getting bogged down with various tasks, ignoring the connection. This bug affects the Superhub 3 in Router or Modem only modes.

I am on the Gamer package and have a Superhub 2 (not ac) and it can fully support the connection, both download and upload.

If they refuse to do it, I'd cancel ASAP if you're still under your cooling off period. There should be no reason they can't switch your hub out to a previous model.

Regards,

Rob

--------
0 Kudos
Daytrader
Dialled in
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

fad3duk wrote:

If you can get them to give you a Superhub 2ac, that'll most likely solve your issues. The Superhub 3 has an intel bug (which intel has patched but VM has not yet) - it causes latency and packet loss due to the processor getting bogged down with various tasks, ignoring the connection. This bug affects the Superhub 3 in Router or Modem only modes.

I am on the Gamer package and have a Superhub 2 (not ac) and it can fully support the connection, both download and upload.

If they refuse to do it, I'd cancel ASAP if you're still under your cooling off period. There should be no reason they can't switch your hub out to a previous model.

So is your superhub 2 not ac, just as good as the superhub 2 ac, as i have a superhub 2 not ac, but also a superhub 3 just arrived, thinking of just sticking with the superhub 2 not ac now.

0 Kudos
DS4130
Tuning in
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

After a surprisingly painless web chat then call back from customer services they have confirmed it is not possible to order me a Superhub 2ac but have booked an engineer appointment as it may be possible for them to source the older hub.

Web chat actually acknowledged the Puma 6 issue!

Will see if the engineer comes through with the goods...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

DS4130 wrote:

Have just switched Virgin on Saturday and online gaming is now impossible on any of my devices due to huge latency spikes, in both Modem only and with the hub 3.0 doing routing.

Sounds like this may be due to hardware issues with the modems Intel chipset, as I'm still within the cooling off period would the best solution be to cancel the contract?

Regards

The test result is really bad, even for a Hub 3. it's normal to have spikes of over 100ms with a Hub 3 but they definitely shouldn't be up to 800ms.

Are you using http://www.dslreports.com/tools/puma6 ? If so make sure the server is 46 (London), as sometimes it picks random overseas servers which already have a high ping.

My result with a Hub 3 is:

51ms : x
57ms : x
60ms : xxxxx
61ms : xxx
62ms : x
63ms : xxx
64ms : xxxx
65ms : xxxxxxxxxxxxx
66ms : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx»
67ms : xxxxxxxxxxxxx
68ms : xxxx