Menu
Md0h
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Vivid 100 terrible connection (again)

Hello,

This is not the first time I have complained about this issue.

Look at the state of this graph.

Ping spikes, High packet loss.

This is completely unacceptable. Gaming is pretty much impossible, as is VOIP.

No issues reported on the Status pages. (Do Virgin think that no one will notice stuff like this?)

I want my old Hub 2ac back! Service was far more stable with that unit than the 3.0 has ever been.

Will update this post with the power levels etc later when I am at home. Router is in modem mode.

Rant end note.

I am really at the end of my rope with Virgin Media.  This is not the first time I have complained about this issue.  With Virgin now wanting to raise my monthly bill by a further £3.99 for a service that has been steadily getting worse I am considering taking a massive bandwidth drop to go to a FTTC service that will at least rid me of constant packet loss issues.  I am on my 3rd account due to terrible customer service loosing my details and therefore my landline number twice during a house move, I am on my 3rd router because they "upgraded" me to HH3 which is frankly garbage, seemingly weekly faults and down time and every quarter the spikes and packet loss get so bad that my service is all but useless for what it is used for about 75% of the time.

Not fit for purpose. 

0 Kudos
Md0h
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Vivid 100 terrible connection (again)

No change after a full weekend. Power levels on the hub are perfectly fine, no faults reported in the area.

virgin.png

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/29adf4d95a8d163b3712c75777d1a2e7c065d10a-14-08-2017

0 Kudos
Md0h
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

virgin.png

Tuesday. packet loss still at 10%.

0 Kudos
Alicarns
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The mods take about a week to reply to threads and they go by oldest first.

Frankly the hub 3 is rubbish so I just got my own router and chucked the hub in modem mode which resolved my connectivity issues but I didn't suffer from packet loss at all, latency is still there but I seem to be lucky as gaming has been fine.

There is a large thread about the Puma 6 chipset here which highlights a major flaw in the chip (latency and packet loss) but unfortunately there is no confirmation from VM when a firmware update would be released.  

---

Hub 3 user in modem mode with the Asus RT-A66U B1 running the Merlin firmware
0 Kudos
Md0h
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

yep I am aware of the PUMA 6 fiasco but I have not been experiencing this level of packet loss consistently. It comes in waves which is down to external problems with VMs network (this was the explanation the last time).  The yellow spikes on the BQM are most likely the Hub 3 issue but generally I can live with them most of the time (nearly always present but not that close together).  The packet loss at +-10% however, makes gaming, VOIP and remote access to my office very challenging and sometime next to impossible.

Interestingly, you are running the same setup as me minus Merlin firmware. I am using ASUS vanilla firmware currently.

0 Kudos
OnyxHound
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

damn at 10:30am on tuesday you could nearly play a game for 5 minutes

0 Kudos
Md0h
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

virgin.png

As suspected the packet loss resolved its self as its an external VM issue that likes to rear its ugly head about once a quarter. Literally went off like a switch at 1800hrs on Tuesday.....

virgin2.png

Still nice yellow spikes but they don't seem to manifest themselves as anything when actually using the service. At least not that I have been able to detect without a monitor like this.  I have always assumed that is a symptom of the PUMA 6 issue.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear all of this Md0h,

I'd like to help.

To allow me to do so, could you respond via private message with the following information?:

• Please can you confirm your name and if you are the account holder?
  • Home address

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me,

I'd like to arrange for one of our engineers to visit and investigate this further for you.

I've sent you a private message so that we can discuss getting something booked in.

Speak soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos