Menu
Hero
Message 21 of 68 (644 Views)

Re: Virgin Server Problems

[ Edited ]

Osheen wrote:
Sorry, complete brain fart there. So in order to stop this ping issue I'm going to have to buy my own router?

I post in your other topic here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/High-ping-and-ping-spikes/m-p/3213548#M24782

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 22 of 68 (619 Views)

Well, after a few months,

its back....

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 23 of 68 (590 Views)

Hi lambey332, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear your broadband is having an issue again Smiley Sad

Having a look at things this end, there is currently a fault at the address and we are planning to undertake some upgrades to support the increased demand for our services there. Once the work is completed, any issues with slow speeds will be resolved.

The fault reference for this is: F004083884

We are looking to carry the work out as soon as possible and the next review date for this fault is 25 JAN 2017.

We understand this is not the best news however I've flagged this up to our Moderation team. They will be in contact with you in a few days to discuss what will happen next Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 24 of 68 (556 Views)

Having problems. AGAIN. getting REALLY sick of this.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 25 of 68 (514 Views)

2 weeks and nothing. Still having trouble!

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 26 of 68 (489 Views)

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 27 of 68 (478 Views)

I have just spoken to Virgin and they have advised that this is a problem of Microsoft's doing, apparently moving to IPV6, and that they (Virgin) are working to fix it. I have suggested to Virgin that they post news of this and the updates to their service so that all users can see what progress they are making.

On our wavelength
Message 28 of 68 (459 Views)

I get an answer and its not from Virgin...

Thanks though!

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 29 of 68 (443 Views)

[ Edited ]

Getting really disgusted with the lack of response on this forum.

Either someone respond or I cancel all of my virgin packages because I've tried calling up and getting the **bleep** 'oh, theres a problem, nothing we can do' like and I've tried posting on this A MONTH AGO with NO GOD DAMN RESPONSE. 

This latency is affecting my performance in online tournaments and is costing me MONEY. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 30 of 68 (451 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am now having exactly the same issues. I did try and post my own thread on it however the Virgin Media forums were automatically taking them down, despite all personal information being removed. Looks like we can't even post an IP address without being told off (which is tricky considering thats how you diagnose issues!)

-- Original post

I am currently using a Virgin Media connection as part of my student accommodation, so unfortunately I do not have access to billing information or anything like that. I believe the issue I have however is further up in the chain within the network, so may not require account intervention.

For the past week and a half now, I have been experiencing constant disconnections to various Blizzard gaming servers, the main two being for World of Warcraft and Overwatch.

The latency appears to be fine, but the drops are erratic. They appear to happen all throughout the day, but worse in the evenings. I can confirm that I am not using wireless, I am using a wired LAN connection.

At first, I thought maybe it was Blizzard's servers going a little bit odd, and I since contacted them. After a chat with Blizzard, it was explained that due to the routing, it is most likely a Virgin Media issue. At that point, I did a little more investigating, and it appears I am not alone.

The connection drops seem to happen so randomly it's rather strange. Sometimes it will be fine for an hour and it will drop, and other times it will drop four times in five minutes. I have done a series of troubleshooting steps.

I ran a series of checks on my side to see where the connection was stumbling. Unfortunately, it's not possible to run a pathping because it seems that it is blocked (maybe a Virgin thing, not sure?). I first of all ran a ping to the Blizzard server IP (World of Warcraft). The x.157 address is what I am automatically allocated (by them)?

Ping statistics for 185.60.112.157: (Moderator note: This IP address is given on the Battlenet website for troubleshooting. There is no need to remove it.)
Packets: Sent = 56, Received = 48, Lost = 8 (14% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 30ms, Maximum = 48ms, Average = 36ms

The timeouts are enough to cause frequent disconnections and packet loss is always bad. I thought to myself, "ok, I will have a look and see where the issue is being caused", so I did a traceroute (below):

Tracing route to 185.60.112.157 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms routerlogin.net [192.168.0.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 13 ms 9 ms 18 ms exe2-core-2a-xe-032-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.xxx.xxx.13]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 42 ms 49 ms 39 ms ams2-ic-1-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.xxx.xxx.158]
11 34 ms 33 ms 39 ms 80.xxx.xxx.83
12 44 ms 35 ms 40 ms 37.xxx.xxx.33
13 * 42 ms 35 ms 185.60.112.157

At this point, I thought that as it isn't possible to run a pathping, I will run pings to each of the servers in that list, and see which one was causing the timeouts.
This is the ping result for the second to last IP address (x.33):

Ping statistics for 37.xxx.xxx.33:
Packets: Sent = 34, Received = 34, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 28ms, Maximum = 43ms, Average = 34ms

This means that the issue is somewhere between 37.xxx.xxx.33 and 185.60.112.157 (these are both Blizzard servers - I did a WHOIS lookup).

I was pretty certain that the issue was relating to Blizzard themselves, but they keep telling me it's not. They said that it is due to the routing within the Virgin Media network. That being said, they also said to me that "Request timed out" on a traceroute means a faulty connection at that point, which is clearly wrong (it's actually to do with ICMP packets being refused at that location, but that's besides the point). Needless to say I'm leaning more towards Blizzard being at fault, but I don't know? Others have had the same issue too.

Machine is clean and virus free (recently did a new install), and I have tried it on two different network adaptors (from different manufacturers), with the same issue. The problem doesn't happen when using my 4G connection tethered. Any ideas where the problem could be? Other websites and services seem to work absolutely fine, and it is clear that other users in this very thread are having the same problems.

Unfortunately for me, the router is in a locked cupboard so I can't reset anything from here, but over the last few days the landlord has been out (after me pestering) to look at the connection.

Finally I would like to apologise - I do not mean to hijack this thread in any way. I am simply adding to the list of people here who seem to be having problems, and hope to find a solution!

-Jack

0 Kudos