Menu
moza
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media PS4 download speeds

Hi all, I'm having a problem with my PS4 download speed. I have a 170mb download speed and 12mb upload speed virgin media connection, but only get 40-44mb download speed and 6-7mb on my wired PS4. Any help will be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media PS4 download speeds

Playstations max out at those speeds when doing a speedtest

0 Kudos
moza
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

PlayStation don't max out at those speeds. My friend who has the exact same internet package as me gets 70mbps download and 15mbps upload on his PlayStation 4.

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The PSN backend has been slow for years.

Sometimes its best to put the PS4 into rest mode with internet to download games.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
supershaun
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Playstation do not limit speeds as you can see im on 200mb broadband and always get between 160-190mbs on ps4 and downloads are always maxing out my connection this is on superhub 3 so if you are not getting good speeds sounds like a connection problem of some sort

http://lookpic.com/O/i2/774/gZQeO48A.jpeg

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That's a test page of a few seconds of testing. That's a much use as last weeks lottery numbers.

The Sony Back end is useless (that's not VM fault), and the NIC in the PS4 is below spec of what it should be able to do.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

moza wrote:

Hi all, I'm having a problem with my PS4 download speed. I have a 170mb download speed and 12mb upload speed virgin media connection, but only get 40-44mb download speed and 6-7mb on my wired PS4. Any help will be much appreciated.

Those look about average speeds to me. The Sony speed tests and downloads on PS3 & PS4 are notorious for not reflecting the true potential speed of your connection because they only use a single threaded download.

I found a speed test that works on the PS4 browser and has a multi threaded download option, try this site in the PS4 web browser: http://testmy.net/multithread

Even that speed test doesn't show the full speed of my connection, unless I run it on a PC.  I don't think the spec of the PS4 NIC is to blame as you can't refer to it as a gigabit NIC if it can't handle gigabit speeds, I can believe that another part of the PS4's hardware or software could be under powered and holding back the NIC.

VM's single threaded speeds can vary from area to area and will be worse at peak times.  A good way to check your single thread speeds is with the Thinkbroadband test, but AFAIK it can't be run on the PS4 browser so will need a PC:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

Some people say rest mode speeds up downloads but I have seen no empirical evidence of this only anecdotal evidence and I have seen my downloads slow down more often in rest mode.  Another anecdotal trick is to pause a download that is slow, wait a minute or two and then unpause it, this sometimes seems to speed it up.  It might be the result of the PS4 being disconnected from a slow congested server at Sony's end and then being assigned to a less congested one.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
moza
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've run tests on Speedtest.net the results are what I expect for my internet package I have, can't understand why PlayStation only reads at around 30% of the Speedtest results and other people with the same package reads at 60%+ of their speedtest results. My PS4 is wired and placed into the dmz but I get the same results as I would when it's wireless.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

moza wrote:

I've run tests on Speedtest.net the results are what I expect for my internet package I have, can't understand why PlayStation only reads at around 30% of the Speedtest results and other people with the same package reads at 60%+ of their speedtest results. My PS4 is wired and placed into the dmz but I get the same results as I would when it's wireless.

Speedtest.net uses multi threaded downloads to test speeds so can show your connection working at full speed and mask possible slow single thread speeds.  Try the Thinkbroadband test I linked to previously and see what single thread speeds are like.  If they are consistently slow then that could explain the difference.  Also try testing at both peak (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) and off peak times to see if that makes any difference.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos