Menu
Morse2010
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Very high ping in afternoons and evenings

Hi, I have been experiencing very high ping and low download speeds in the afternoons and evenings for the past few months. Virgin were apparently performing improvements in my area and I assumed that this would fix the issues I have been having. However, I have experienced no improvement to my broadband and the issues seem to have become worse over the past few weeks.

I have ran several BQMs over the past week:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/810911f08cdd42862e740d9a224ab7ca-26-08-2016.html

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/295afbd7d2199b248cf14d4004ed5a2f-28-08-2016.html

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/50355fe03c5b50327959f7b0403f5e65-29-08-2016.html

The ping is usually very high between 2pm-10pm on weekends and between 6pm-10pm on weekdays and is accompanied by a small amount of packet loss (1-3%). As you can imagine this makes playing online games completely impossible. The ping usually reaches several hundred ms during this period and regularly reaches over 1000 ms. These periods of high ping also coincide with very low download speeds which sometimes decrease to less than 5 Mbps.This is far lower than the download speed of 60 Mbps that I should be getting.  

My computer is connected to the router via cable and there are 3 other computers in the house that connect via wireless. I have turned off wireless and performed a factory reset of my Super Hub in the hope that this would fix the issues, but the problem persists. I have also checked to see if the other internet users in the house could be the cause. However, the problem remains even when no one else in the house is using the internet.

Download and upstream pages:

Downstream.png

Upstream.png

Am I correct in thinking that there is a congestion issue in my area? I would appreciate any help in this matter.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very high ping in afternoons and evenings

One possibility is you have something flooding your connection the other is your using the default or very easy wireless password or your using WEP when you should use WPA.

Morse2010 wrote:

I have turned off wireless and performed a factory reset of my Super Hub in the hope that this would fix the issues, but the problem persists.

I don't get this test you disabled the wireless then did a reset which would re-enable the wireless.

So the real test is when you spike disable the wireless in super hub No resets reboots are fine but disable the wireless for testing and test without any thing connected (only in router mode) for 30mins which will likely show your BQM as fine with any luck then add your devices one by one this is not ideal in more ways then one because their can be a delay as to what device goes off again causing you to spike.

You can also get NetWorx
https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

I should also add that the super hub has no QoS none of them do so you hit your upto limit you buffer.

0 Kudos
Morse2010
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. I am using WPA and I am not using the default or an easy wireless password. I turned off wireless for a period of about 1 hour several days ago and the very high ping persisted throughout this period.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Morse2010,

Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry to see you have been having trouble with ping.

I've just checked your connection and it seems you are affected by fault ref F003402163 for slow speeds at peak times. This is currently with the planning team so I don't have a lot of information on this. We should know more after 28/09/2016. I have popped the details across to another team in our department and they will be in contact with you as soon as they can to give you a bit more information. 

Apologies that these isn't more I can tell you at this time. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos