Menu
Jam92
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Very high latency when gaming

Normally the Internet has been perfect for gaming and I often get host, however in the last few weeks my ping has been extremely high. It often goes over 400ms making online gaming completely unplayable.

I have run a few speed tests and download and upload speeds are fine. I play with a wired connection.

I have 120mbps and a VMDG480 router which I have read can be the cause of this problem.

Any help would be much appreciated so I can make the most of the sun and get back on my Xbox.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very high latency when gaming

If your in router mode you likely need to reboot it or you can use modem mode and it be stable for a long time.

0 Kudos
Jam92
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I've tried resetting the router a few times, it works for a short while but then goes back to very bad lag.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jam92,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're seeing poor latency when gaming. I've tried to check your connection to see what could be causing this but was unable to locate your account. I've just sent you a private message requesting some details so that I can investigate this further.

To view your messages just click the envelope at the top of the page. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jam92,

Thanks for responding with your details, I've now checked your connection and can see that you are affected by contention fault F003962071. This will cause poor speeds and latency at peak times such as evenings and weekends and is due for review 08/06/16. 

As the modem mode test was so much cleaner than the router mode I believe there is something else on the local side that could be affecting your latency even more. Could you try testing in modem mode again at an off peak time but this time with a PC in safe mode with networking? This will rule out any background software on that PC that could be taking up bandwidth.

Let us know how you get on. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Jam92
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Exactly the same results in router mode and modem mode.

Router mode: 12ms ping, 127.58mbps download, 11.68 mbps upload

Modem mode: 12ms ping, 127.85mbps download, 11.68 upload

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jam92,

Thanks for coming back to us.

I'm going to send you a private message. Keep an eye on that purple envelope.

Look forward to your response.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos