Menu
Commanderflynn
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

VM Throttling Twitch streamers?

I kind of just want to ask this out-right since I'm finding alot of conflicting information about this subject and thought it might be best to just ask people outright here. 

As someone who has just found some enjoyment in streaming games for others to view, it's something I'd like to do regularly, but was curious as to if throttling was still a thing. (and would explain why I have difficulty viewing other streams shortly after finishing)

For reference I'm on the 70MBs package with an average of a 4.9 upload speed. (I say average, it fluctuates sometimes) 

my settings on OBS, for streaming is around 2200 and outputting at 720p@60

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: VM Throttling Twitch streamers?

Virgin still have traffic management on the upstream on most packages. Details are

HERE

If you are on 70 Mbps and streaming at 720, you'll hit them fairly quickly. And yes, that would explain the impairment on your downstream after youve been streaming, crippled upstream=slower downstream...

They have launched Vivid Gamer which is an upgrade to the 200Mbps package which give 20Mps upstream and no traffic management. Perfect for streamers but as much use as a chocolate fireguard for vanilla gaming.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Virgin still have traffic management on the upstream on most packages. Details are

HERE

If you are on 70 Mbps and streaming at 720, you'll hit them fairly quickly. And yes, that would explain the impairment on your downstream after youve been streaming, crippled upstream=slower downstream...

They have launched Vivid Gamer which is an upgrade to the 200Mbps package which give 20Mps upstream and no traffic management. Perfect for streamers but as much use as a chocolate fireguard for vanilla gaming.

0 Kudos
Commanderflynn
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Had a feeling that was a case :c
sadly I can't afford £50 on just a hobby that won't go anywhere unless I put a ton of work in and what-not...
and I liked Virgin too :c
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Then you've a couple of options-

• drop the resolution/FPS when streaming
  • BT infinity unlimited

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

In addition to the suggestions from @Kippies you can also avoid the traffic management by streaming outside the peak time window of 4pm to 11pm week days and 11am to 11pm at weekends.  While this may not be ideal, it is the only VM option that doesn't cost any extra.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.