Menu
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@VM RE: Vivid 200 Gamer

"The connection will be totally unlimited"

So does that mean no STM on upstream then or is this an "unlimited" that isn't actually following the actual definition of the word, because you mention streaming and that is going to eat a lot of bandwidth very quickly so i need to know the exact terms for this

*edit*

Found the terms, it truely is STM free, could be worth a lookin, although will i need the SH3 for this?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: @VM RE: Vivid 200 Gamer

Yes you would need the Hub 3.0 to get the Vivid 200 Gamer tier.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

SCA1972 wrote:

Meh bit of a put off then :/

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

shanematthews wrote:

SCA1972 wrote:

Meh bit of a put off then :/

Also as a followup they would expect me, a customer of 5 years, to not only sign up for a new 12 month contract but to pay a £15 "activation fee" on a self install for a SH3, sorry VM but thats not going to happen in a million years

J0hn
Super solver
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

On top of that, there is no improvement in ping, or a minimum bandwidth promise, so it's great for streaming uploads no improvement at all for gamers. Just a few bob more in the till and more disgruntled users imho.

0 Kudos
boltedenergy
Superfast
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

the SH3 has very bad jitter,ping,latency issues if you are gamer stick to the SH2.

--I'm just another virgin user like you. Please mark my answer as helpful, if it helped Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

As a followup, i did eventually manage to get them to agree to the 200/20 upgrade without dealing with the activation fee, but oh my god

The superhub 3, i have never seen a device so unfit for purpose in my life, and i have used belkin routers and this thing, this thing somehow manages to be WORSE

Lets start with this, trying to login to the router, the login page renders but remains unresponsive for around 10 seconds before you can even click the password box, and even then i am pretty sure it doesn't actually treat it like a password box and displays the characters you type in to it

Secondly, the damn unit MITM's (Man in the middle) your connection, if you have no internet connection the device highjacks your current browser tab and tries to redirect you to a troubleshooting tool which for some unknown reason tries to open a second tab while triggering the "play" button used by global media keys

Thirdly, it tries to dictate to ME regarding which ports i can or cannot forward, if i want to open a specific port you damn well let me open that specific port, the SH3 gave me a list of ports i couldn't use which i didn't note down because there shouldn't be a list in the first place

This device is not fit for purpose by an absolute massive longshot and i wouldn't even use it to wipe my ### with thats how terrible it is, the ONLY time this thing could be even remotely considered is if it were used in modem mode only, and even then i suspect it wouldn't perform properly, also, you do NOT need a SH3 for the vivid 200 gamer, after my SH3 got stuck in a 30 minute "updating" boot loop i rang through to tech support, which took 3 attempts and 3 lots of listening to hold music for 30 minutes as the first 2 calls automatically terminated at the 10 minute mark, i told the advisor to reactivate my old SH2, which she did, which is now configured for the 200/20 service and speedtests perfectly http://www.speedtest.net/result/5648311114.png and the config page looks like http://i.imgur.com/INqiS5i.png

So long story short, do NOT accept this abomination of an excuse for a piece of equipment

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
arronlowley
Up to speed
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

shane, i had to accept this abomination is its the only way to get 300Mbps Smiley Sad the 2ac doesnt support homeworks, but i use it in modem mode with a nighthawk r7000.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/6c7f9a9f20c4b3cac9edc401f62167c3.html
0 Kudos
shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

arronlowley wrote:

shane, i had to accept this abomination is its the only way to get 300Mbps Smiley Sad the 2ac doesnt support homeworks, but i use it in modem mode with a nighthawk r7000.

Using it in modem mode might yield better results, that however doesn't change the extremely questionable MITM done on the traffic and the troubleshooting tool that sends global media key commands

0 Kudos
Omar7733
Dialled in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've got Vivid 200 gamer now it is no different from Vivid 200 at all

they are just robbing us

0 Kudos