Menu
Xaero
Joining in
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Unstable ping times PO15 area

Been having some issues the last few days to a week now, dropping packets in voice chats at random hours of the day and also ping going between 20 and 80 fluctuating constantly throughout most of the day.

Also sites like Youtube sometimes take inexplicably long times to load the video content.

Errors hitting Post RS like this: https://i.gyazo.com/ff19203a5ca9ae179008a6db9075c8d4.png

This error count is only after an hour of turning back on after a reboot.

0 Kudos
Xaero
Joining in
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unstable ping times PO15 area

Now it's getting even worse at certain times of the day (currently ~2:30am) just had multiple instances of 5+ second hangs resulting in disconnects from games and voice servers.

0 Kudos
Xaero
Joining in
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Seems to keep getting worse...

My Broadband Ping - VM 1
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

What super hub model do you have? Is it in modem mode or router mode?

Likely you have something downloading or uploading and hitting you upto rate limit in the super hub.

0 Kudos
Xaero
Joining in
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

It says Super Hub 2 on the router settings page so I assume that's it?

It's in router mode.

Even if I was downloading some of the time, it wouldn't be like that for hours and days non stop, and also I don't typically get that kind of ping increase while downloading as I tend to not use 100% of my bandwidth and cap things like Steam etc.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

It is very easy to buffer your connection without knowing unless you know which without something to tell you you can't know for sure. Their is the possibility it a problem with your connection but still how can you be sure.

It seems most of your spikes happen at night or so it seems so if that's a patten you can disable the wireless in the super hub and unplug all your wired devices which in router mode (or can be done by your own router) will keep the BQM going and see what happens.

You may find its your online backup or something but even youtube will cause your ping to spike as they download the video first bit at your max speed and some games when you exit upload your saved game to steam cloud and depending on the game the files can be big which that too will spike your ping high.

Having your own router/QoS setup can limit this problem depending on how good it is.

0 Kudos
Xaero
Joining in
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

But why would all of this only start happening in the past week if it was just my downloads? I don't have an automatic backup outside of Dropbox anyway so it wouldn't happen while my PC is off overnight.

Also I've tried having wireless and all connected devices off and it didn't change anything.

0 Kudos
prism3r
Joining in
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

This is getting ridiculous: 3.5-11 MB/s download speed and Virgin are nowhere to be contacted (no Dota 2, CS:GO, or ESO for me)... It is lovely to see I am paying top dollar for 3MB/s which I could be getting by using the shop next door' WiFi...oh yes, for free.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

You likely got this problem checkout the whole topic
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Very-poor-HTTP-download-speed/m-p/3058598#M103192

run this speedtest
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

The truth about this problem is going to be a big deal and CMTS are going to need faster QoS routers due to current ones not able to handle the load and the CPU hit high but they did something that no one really understood until it started happening that the new replacements (as far as I can tell) really do a lot more advanced QoS but they missed something that was so easily done even I would of made that mistake its only when it was deployed on a mass ISP network that its going to have a impact.

0 Kudos
Xaero
Joining in
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Update, a little more consistent but still not good.

My Broadband Ping - VM 1
0 Kudos