Menu
Ritzii
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Unable to go online on 3DS (Error Code: 001-0502)

Hey there, I've been having trouble getting online on my 3DS at home for some time now. Whenever I try to use any online features I get the error code 001-0502 (Unable to connect to the server. Please try again later). The same issue happens on my partners 3DS as well and both work fine on other wireless networks, just not on our Virgin Media service at home.

At first I thought this may just be Nintendos servers being overwhelmed by Pokemon GO, but I'm still getting the same thing weeks later. The Nintendo support page for this error suggests port forwarding as a solution, but I've had no joy with that and other potential solutions like assigning the device its own static IP hasn't worked either. 

If anyone has any idea for any other possible solutions, I'm all ears Smiley Happy

Tags (3)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Unable to go online on 3DS (Error Code: 001-0502)

Hi Ritzii,

Thanks for getting back to us. I note that  you have a Super Hub, one of our earlier models - since then we've had Super Hub 2 and Super Hub 2ac with the Hub 3 being the most current.

Super Hub is somewhat restricted in terms of Wi-Fi in that it offers only the option of either the 2.4Ghz or the 5Ghz frequencies, not both simultaneously. I'm fairly certain that the 3DS only connects to the former so if you have the 5Ghz option selected this will explain why you can't connect.

I'm only guesstimating at this point as I have no idea how or in what way your DS's are failing to establish a connection.

But this seems like a good place to start. Plus your current tier of broadband service is really better served with a more up-to-date model. So I've ordered a replacement Hub for you (Hub 3 has a few firmware glitches atm so I've opted for the 2ac though you may get a Super Hub 2 depending on availability).

Here are the details:

• The new Hub should arrive within the next few days.
  • The courier, Yodel, will leave contact details should re-delivery arrangements be needed.
  • A text will be sent (to the mobile number we have listed for you) the day prior to delivery advising of an ETA.
  • Full setup and activation instructions will be included.
  • Here's some wireless advice for your Super Hub.

Keep me updated on how you get on so I can offer further support if needed Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ritzii

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to the warm. It's nice to have you here.

I'm sorry to read that your Nintendo 3DS is having an issue with the wireless connection.

I appreciate all the checks you have completed so far, but to no avail unfortunately.

Have you tried to change the wireless channel at all just in case there is interference on the channel that it is currently set too?

You can also try to change the security from WPA - AUTO to WPA - PSK AES.

Let me know if these work for you

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Ritzii
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for the late reply, must have missed yours! 

Unfortunately, I'm still having the same problems. I tried both changing the channel and security settings back when I first posted and again just now for safety - but still the same thing. It seems to me like there's something on Virgins end blocking communication with Nintendos servers.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Ritzii,

Thanks for getting back to us Smiley Happy

I'm sorry that Sam's suggestions didn't help.

Apart from your DS's, do you have problems with any other devices on your network? Have you previously been able to connect at home or has there always been problems?

Apologies again for the on-going inconvenience.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Ritzii
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey Heather, cheers for the response!

Everything else works just fine and the 3DS's themselves work great on other networks, just not our connection at home. They both used to be able to connect with no problems until this started happening.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Ritzii,

Thanks for getting back to us. I note that  you have a Super Hub, one of our earlier models - since then we've had Super Hub 2 and Super Hub 2ac with the Hub 3 being the most current.

Super Hub is somewhat restricted in terms of Wi-Fi in that it offers only the option of either the 2.4Ghz or the 5Ghz frequencies, not both simultaneously. I'm fairly certain that the 3DS only connects to the former so if you have the 5Ghz option selected this will explain why you can't connect.

I'm only guesstimating at this point as I have no idea how or in what way your DS's are failing to establish a connection.

But this seems like a good place to start. Plus your current tier of broadband service is really better served with a more up-to-date model. So I've ordered a replacement Hub for you (Hub 3 has a few firmware glitches atm so I've opted for the 2ac though you may get a Super Hub 2 depending on availability).

Here are the details:

• The new Hub should arrive within the next few days.
  • The courier, Yodel, will leave contact details should re-delivery arrangements be needed.
  • A text will be sent (to the mobile number we have listed for you) the day prior to delivery advising of an ETA.
  • Full setup and activation instructions will be included.
  • Here's some wireless advice for your Super Hub.

Keep me updated on how you get on so I can offer further support if needed Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

Andy1975
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

"Super Hub is somewhat restricted in terms of Wi-Fi"

Standing 2 feet away from the router and having 1 bar signal was kinda restricted i guess, glad they fixed it with the superhub 2... oh wait.

0 Kudos
Ritzii
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Whilst the broadcast frequencies were not causing the issue (I had tried that already), getting the new router seemed to resolve whatever was causing this problem. Thank you Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I had this issue with the SH3. The solution was to create a guest network which uses the 2.4GHz band. Chromecasts also had the same problem. I've got a Hub 2ac now and don't have these issues.

Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
Be nice, eat all your vegetables and keep your room tidy.
0 Kudos
Tongsyahbas
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm a 3ds user I found problems after the last update delete your current connection and set up a new one you might need to use aoss by clicking the button at the top of the router.

good luck 

0 Kudos