Menu
Redlandmum
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Unable to access Playstation network through Virgin server

We are suddenly unable to access Playstation network from PS4 over our wifi. We tried to sort this out through Sony' s helpline service and discovered, while up dating our account details, that we could only access their website via 3G. Any attempt to access their website over our wifi was met with the following screen message: "Access Denied You don't have permission to access "http://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/login.action?" on this server. Reference #18.99ff4317.1470044293.cb5a754c" Please advise.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to access Playstation network through Virgin server

This could be Sony blacklisting your IP address, which is not something VM can fix.  The easiest way to test this theory is to put your hub in modem mode if it is in router mode or vice versa as this will assign you a new IP address.

Here is one of my old posts with more info:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming/Psn-blocking-on-ps4/m-p/3082226#M21602

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

before concluding you've been blacklisted for no reason -  power off & on again, clear browser caches, try that URL from a different device..

powercycling everything may well fix it

also, Sony's own servers are notoriously flaky - they may have been having an outage, at the time you tried to update.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

before concluding you've been blacklisted for no reason -  power off & on again, clear browser caches, try that URL from a different device..

powercycling everything may well fix it

also, Sony's own servers are notoriously flaky - they may have been having an outage, at the time you tried to update.

All good advice and worth a try.

Just to be clear to @Redlandmum I'm not suggesting your account has been blacklisted for no reason, but that you have unwittingly been blocked by being assigned an IP address that somebody else abused previously and Sony blacklisted.

It would be helpful to know the error that you get on the PS4 when you try to connect to PSN.  The usual one for blocked IP addresses is "ws-37397-9".

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos