Menu
Hut2016
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Two Issues, port forwarding not working - Super Hub 3.0 and upload speed not as advertised

I've been a Virgin Media user for about a month now. There are currently two problems.

1) Port forwarding does not seem to be working:

I've reserved an IP address for my PC so that it has a static IP.
I've created the rule in the port forwarding page to open the necessary port so that I can host in Risk of Rain.
When testing to see if the port was open I was shown it wasn't by a software called "Port Forward Network Utilities".
I created rules in Windows Firewall to open the port, however the port still wasn't open and my friends couldn't join my server in game.
I temporarily disabled firewall in the router settings and tried again, no luck. I've also restarted the router, but the port is still closed.

I'm not sure what else to try so I'm posting here in the hopes that someone knows something I haven't tried.

2) The second problem is that we were told on phone when purchasing the 50Mb/s package that our upload speed was going to be 5Mb/s.

This ended up not being the case based on the constant 3Mb/s upload speed results from speedtest.net. In my opinion this can be classified as false advertising, we also have a unintentional recording of the call made when we were purchasing the package in which the salesperson says the "upload speed is 5". I tried getting in contact with Virgin Media using Chat multiple times, but I'm told to try again later since all agents are busy...

I'm aware the more expensive packages allow for upload speeds to go up to 12Mb/s. I think it's fair for Virgin Media to honour their mistake and boost our upload to 5Mb/s as stated by the salesperson on the phone.

Thanks in advance for any help!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Two Issues, port forwarding not working - Super Hub 3.0 and upload speed not as advertised

Hi Hut2016,

I'm impressed that you found your way to our Forum after having joined us only recently, welcome on board Smiley Happy

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.  The port forwarding issue is something that will be fixed in a firmware update, but I'm not sure when that will be deployed sorry.

If this is something you don't wish to wait for then please let me know and I'll arrange for an earlier version of Hub to be sent out to you. This would resolve the problem for now and you could revert back to your Hub 3 when we have confirmation of firmware release.

Your second query, about the upstream speeds, is not something I can particularly help with I'm sorry. We can't actually increase/decrease upstream or downstream speeds for individual modems. The configuration files for each tier of service are preset (indicating the upstream/downstream speeds for that specific package)  and are deployed by the CMTS to the modems connected to it.

I am honestly sorry that you are experiencing problems so soon after joining us and hope that you'll accept our offer of help for at least one of these issues.

Keep us updated so we can assist further Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Hut2016
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Two Issues, port forwarding not working - Super Hub 3.0 and upload speed not as advertised

Hello Jen_A,

Thank you for your reply.

It's unfortunate to hear nothing can be done about the upload speed, if you take customer suggestions, I do think the upload speed should be 5Mb/s minimum, I've seen others online complain about the speed, and really day by day we are increasingly progressing in the digital age. Uploading I feel is something that's underestimated in some regards by most ISPs. 

Thank you, I'd like to be sent an earlier version of Hub if possible, I'm facing some difficulties with applications that require port forwarding. So that would be very much appreciated! How do you recommend I send you information regarding address and etc securely?

Regards,

Hut2016

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hut2016 wrote:

Hello Jen_A,

Thank you for your reply.

It's unfortunate to hear nothing can be done about the upload speed, if you take customer suggestions, I do think the upload speed should be 5Mb/s minimum, I've seen others online complain about the speed, and really day by day we are increasingly progressing in the digital age. Uploading I feel is something that's underestimated in some regards by most ISPs. 

Thank you, I'd like to be sent an earlier version of Hub if possible, I'm facing some difficulties with applications that require port forwarding. So that would be very much appreciated! How do you recommend I send you information regarding address and etc securely?

Regards,

Hut2016

Depending on the cause of the port forwarding issue - having an earlier hub might not fix it.  I've used Port Forwarding for a number of applications, Teamspeak server, Plex server, Tim Clancy Splinter Cell and more,  on all 4 existing Superhubs.  While the hub 3 has some issues with UPnP, I've never had an issue with port forwarding itself.  You could try putting the machine in the DMZ temporarily as a test, if the packets aren't getting through with the machine in the DMZ then the issue is most likely on the machine itself.

With regards to upload speed.  @Jen_A I do hope someone is going to have words with your sales team.  It's not the first time they've told people incorrect information about the upload speeds.  I don't believe it's deliberate, but the appear to be operating under the mistaken assumption that you're still operating on a 10:1 ratio, which hasn't been the case for years.

@Hut2016 It's not necessarily a case of ISP's underestimating the importance of Upload speed to users, it's that they have to take the architecture into account as well.  Things like Twitch streaming and Cloud Storage are relatively recent innovations, for the most part people still download far more than they upload.  DOCSIS was designed with this in mind.  Remember the upstream is a shared resource and is actually more finite than the downstream bandwidth.  Several people uploading on a particular segment can have the effect of limiting speeds for all users (both downstream and upstream) on that segment as the hubs need to request timeslots from the CMTS in order to upload data. 

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Hut2016
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Initially I did intend to try DMZ at some point, although I came across another "Superuser" mentioning the portforwarding and UPnP problems, he did say he had an updated firmware beta, are you aware if your Hub 3.0 has the newest beta?

I'll give DMZ a try as soon as I can.

@Hut2016 It's not necessarily a case of ISP's underestimating the importance of Upload speed to users, it's that they have to take the architecture into account as well.  Things like Twitch streaming and Cloud Storage are relatively recent innovations, for the most part people still download far more than they upload.  DOCSIS was designed with this in mind.  Remember the upstream is a shared resource and is actually more finite than the downstream bandwidth.  Several people uploading on a particular segment can have the effect of limiting speeds for all users (both downstream and upstream) on that segment as the hubs need to request timeslots from the CMTS in order to upload data. 

Thank you for your insight, I still have much to learn regarding networking/routers, I am aware that people download more than they upload. I wasn't aware of the architecture limitations. Also, I hadn't notice the effects of upload limiting speed of download until I started using Virgin Media. Perhaps I was more fortunate with my timings of downloading and uploading files before with BT? Or did you mean Virgin's architecture specifically causes upstream to limit speeds for both? At one point I had files uploading and it caused a spike in ping while I was gaming with friends, I'm assuming it's all related?

Regards,

Hut2016

0 Kudos