Menu
Lyenyo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Twitch buffering

Hi Team,

I'm on the Vivid 200 plan and the service is fantastic now, apart from one small but big problem.

I watch Twitch a lot, but I can never seem to watch broadcasters at high/source quality, I always have to resort to medium because otherwise the stream constantly buffers. 

I have searched here and google for answers, but all I can find is other people with the same issue and no solution. All my friends who also watch Twitch seem to be fine on other providers.

Is there anything that I can do or try?

Thanks in advance,

Henry

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Twitch buffering

What HUB do you have?

What does a speed test show?

0 Kudos
Lyenyo
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Super Hub 2ac

and speed test is showing http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5308364889 usually I get 160+ but it's a Saturday. The issues happens any time of the week though.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

AS your bandwidth is fine and assuming you are happy you are getting decent speeds most of the time...

try this thread

http://www.adminsehow.com/2014/10/how-to-watch-twitch-streams-without-lag-or-stutter-in-source-quali...

Particularly the second part..

Let us know how you get on, Id be interested to know. Might relate to another thread going on on the board

0 Kudos
Lyenyo
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I've had a look into the second option but after faffing around with command lines and ultimately not liking the fact I'll have to use VLC every time, I've decided to give it a miss.

I shouldn't need to go through such roundabout ways to watch content online, I do appreciate your help though !

0 Kudos
Lyenyo
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I would just like to update, this is still happening and is incredibly frustrating, I'm having to resort to Low quality, even on mobile (WiFi).

I have tried the following: Livestreamer through VLC, VPNs, Changing Firewall inbound rules and clearing internet files..

All of the above keeps coming back with buffering every 5 seconds. If I stream on my mobile's internet (EE 4G+) I can watch in Source quality perfectly.

Is Twitch being specifically throttled? it only takes a second googling "twitch buffering virgin media" to see that there are many people with the same issue. I would like an answer on this in case I need to change provider.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Its not that Twitch is being throttled. Its more its not usual for it to get the same treatment as say YouTube because its a live stream.

Content from the the likes of YouTube sit on CDN's embedded in VM's network, so arrive quickly.A Twitch stream can only arrive as fast as its sent. And is usually subject to peering (coming through external links to VM's network) so again, speed of stream transport MAY be affected.

However, other people have had decent results with Livestreamer...

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Stream-buffering-and-packet-loss-at-peak-time/m-p/3138559#...

So it may be another problem entirely

Set up a BQM

HERE

Run it for say 24 hrs, and post the result.

Dont forget youll need to make sure your super hub is configured to reply to ICMP echo requests...

0 Kudos
Lyenyo
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply Kippies, here is my monitor after 24 hours:

monitor.JPG

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thats weird- what are your power levels like?

Go to your Superhub Log in screen

Do NOT log in.

Little button top right.....

Can you post Upstream, Downstream and Network logs.

Screen caps are nice, C&P will do- Don't stress about formatting if you C&P. Someone will get a look and see if there's anything obvious amiss.

0 Kudos
Lyenyo
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

As requested Smiley Happy

11.JPG22.JPG

Many thanks

0 Kudos