Menu
bobajob84
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Twitch Streaming

Hello everyone,

I've seen other post's about this but still not sure why steaming is a problem.

I get around 12MB upload and i use ShadowPlay to stream to Twitch if i select anything higher than 3Mbit the stream will freeze every 10-15 seconds.

I dont understand why virgin has a problem with streaming/Twitch, traffic being prioritised or managed in some stupid way??

I know about the upload cap and being slowed down but this happens as soon as i stream, the max settings on ShadowPlay is 5Mbit Birate / 720p / 60fps and i can get nowhere near that.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Twitch Streaming

Hi bobajob84,

Sorry to hear you're unable to get the most out of your upstream whilst streaming content to Twitch.

I've checked and don't see anything in particular that would explain the issue.  Are you using a wired or wireless connection?  Are you able to test on a wired connection with the hub in modem mode to test for any improvement please?

Let us know how it goes.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
vwillcox
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Remember
Mbit <> MByte!!

http://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe/units-converter/data-storage/calculator/megabit-to-megabyte/

So you 12MB upload will allow a stream of 1.2Mbit!

My Speed
300Mb/s.
0 Kudos
bobajob84
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I alway's run wired, i use the hub in modem mode as i have an Asus RT N56u, i have tried the hub in router/modem mode and no change, i also have 2 friends that are on virgin that have the same problem.

@vwillcox

Sorry i meant 12Mbit

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello bobajob84

Thanks for the update, as you say always best to run wired.

I have had another look at your connection, area historical data and agree with Kev it all looks good from here.

We do not throttle or manage Twitch TV streaming by the way. We only manage newsgroups or P2P Are you able to stream okay from other sites?

I wonder if it is worth having a word with Twitchtv about it? It doesn't look like you are alone.

Please keep us updated Smiley Happy

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
BroEpic
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Did you ever get this sorted?
If so, what did you do as I am having the same issue.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
chrisispk
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have problems streaming on Twitch.tv, i am ok for about 2hrs then i start to get bad lag. i have since moved over to www.gaming.youtube.com can tell you i have not had a single problem streaming live since i moved

my OBS quality settings are set as

1280x720  720p at 60fps with a bitrate of 3800 and i have CBR ticked. i streamed for 5hrs last night from 7pm till 12pm i had no Dropped Frames. it was 100%

my internet is 100/6  my net does slow down a lot but it doesn't afect my upload

if i use twitch i can't stream at these settings for more then 1hr. i haven't got a clue why, but if i were you i would give www.gaming.youtube.com a go

heres a sample of my stream that ive cut https://youtu.be/Pj-XhsL90tQ

0 Kudos