Menu
Jamesf110
Settling in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Twitch Buffering

Basically I am having trouble watching my friends on twitch TV while they stream games, obviously they do not have a big following, and it seems as if they suffer because every time I watch them their streams lag/buffer constantly, however if I watch a streamer with 200+ viewers it does not suffer at all. 

Here is my speed test http://www.speedtest.net/result/5004950602.png which should be plenty good enough for any stream. I do not understand why I am getting this issue, as when I watch on 4G on my phone the stream is absolutely spot on. I can only assume its a virgin media issue, as my friends have no problems at all, they are with other isp's. I've been suffering from this for a few months now, and the only way I can get around this issue is by using an extension in chrome's browser. However this is obviously not efficient, and I shouldn't have to do this.

Otherwise no issues, just on Twitch TV, but I really don't understand why, when I receive 150mb +? Hopefully you can help me out as it would be a real shame for me if I cannot get it too work.

James  

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Twitch Buffering

It would help to know the stream to test.

Change your DNS in your PC should help with this as twitch has many servers and DNS is not good at load balancing the servers for you to connect too that and routing bandwidth problems too.

Also you can disable and stop the DNS Client in windows service as this allows your browser to do the DNS lookup and can be better so windows does not cache DNS lookups longer.

0 Kudos
Jamesf110
Settling in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It's all streams pretty much, 1-5 viewers, doesn't matter who I click on I will get the same problem. People who are partnered with twitch or who have a large amount of viewers seem to be fine to watch.... I have already changed my DNS to no avail. 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It only take a brief bandwidth drop on any route to where DNS tells you to stream from, you also have the problem of where someone is streaming too for you to stream it which might be another server on another route but let say thats not a problem. I really do think using TCP for near real time streaming is bad and I still don't think twitch has optimized the buffering of the stream for TCP as it is.

Their can many reason beyond are control and beyond the Docsis link where TCP ACK are small and get delayed buffers and maybe dropped causing a delay for you to ask for another chuck of the stream. A UDP system of streaming would solve many problems but no one wants too.

I'm looking at a Wireshark of a stream now and there is like at times a 3 second delay which I don't understand why there is this delay but its like my browser is being told to do this delay by the stream I'm watching.

0 Kudos
SonarUK
Superfast
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

no problem here with twitch on Vivid 200.

Offline System Update Diagnostic Tool on Xbox One: http://bit.ly/1e8bSs3
Network ports used by Xbox Live on Xbox One: http://bit.ly/1dCNLm0
xBox Support: http://bit.ly/1lE2QrK
Xbox One operating system versions and system updates: http://bit.ly/1NiJS1j

www.twitch.tv/familycreations

0 Kudos
storrm
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm not sure if x-posts are allowed so please don't flame me if they are frowned on, but there is a related thread in the speed forum that I started a couple of days ago on the same subject.  It doesnt seem to matter which tier of VM service you are on, you either get buffering with viewers if you stream at anything > 2000kbps (less than the quality required for a good 720p stream), or throttled by the Bandwidth Police if streaming 1080p (lowest acceptable limit approx 4000kbps) for more than 1hr.  Outbound I lose no packets to the Twitch London server, but inbound to my viewers (even myself!) I get constant buffering no matter what time of day or night I'm streaming at.  The strange thing is I would swear its got worse since upgrading to Vivid, but I dont have any data to back this up except that I used to stream all evening before Christmas and never had any complaints from viewers.  I'm really hoping someone has a sensible answer or can recommend a way to prove where the problem lays because I'm getting fed up of being told 'its the other guy' Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I played with Open Broadcaster Software here are settings I used “2100 max bitrate kb/s” with “minimize network impact”, “keyframe 2”, "encoding profile main", “Automate low latency mode” and “latency tuning factor 0” this seemed to work well and you can also set base resolution as custom 1280 x 720 on a 1920x1080 and then views just stretch that to their resolution.

0 Kudos