Menu
Dosedmonkey
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Throttled for uploading one video to youtube, or Virgin network issue?

Hello. So I am on SuperFibre50. I Upload a 720p HD gaming video to youtube, 340mb, but not uploaded anything else. Then proceeded to do some gaming.

Not long after my ping went from a good 30 up to 800.

I reset the router as first check, the ping was back to normal, played a game on a server for 20 minutes, then left the game, to join another, and all my pings had gone sky rocketing high again to 800 odd.

It feels like it is a throttling issue. I am very surprised, I am a new Virgin customer, of two weeks, first time I've uploaded anything, just one 4 min video. And now I seem to have ping problems for over use.

I did a speedtest.net test to local Virgin server, upload was down to only 0.66mbps Is this enough to cause problems gaming? Usually is around 4mbps up.

Download was fine.

I just read now streaming is a problem with virgin, I wish I knew this before, as I expect my son will want to stream again soon in the future, once we've finished moving in to our new home and his computer is set up again. Why are they throttling for such low amount of upload in 2016?

Please confirm this is a throttle and not another problem with Virgin systems. But to me it looks like it could be a throttle.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Throttled for uploading one video to youtube, or Virgin network issue?

Have you checked the traffic management thresholds for your package?

0 Kudos
Dosedmonkey
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

1 Hour threshold 1000MB

2 Hour threshold

1350Mb

So 340mb would mean 640mb remaining after 1 hour. 1010mb over 2 hour. I can't believe I've used that up, with just playing Chivalry Medieval Warfare, for the remainder of the hour. Although I am unaware of how much upload those games require.

I have mobile phone running on the wifi and tv down streaming. But the throttling is only on uploads right, so should contribute only a few mb of data.

I can't understand why a throttled upload would cause latency issues anyway, a simple game shouldn't need much upload anyway. Is the throttling causing packet loss? It is bizarre.

Is it perhaps not a throttle problem but something else going on? Anyone got any experience with what happened to me when I reset my router, it being temporarily better again?

Thresholds;

https://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy-thresholds.html

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yup so its not traffic management

Which HUB do you have?

0 Kudos
Dosedmonkey
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote:

Yup so its not traffic management

Which HUB do you have?

A less there is a program in background uploading in secret. Or possible youtube had problems uploading the video, so used extra data I guess??? But it'd be uploading a hell of a lot of data. Wish there was a simple way to see when people are getting throttled or such.

The thresholds do seem a bit low too for nowadays, when were they last updated?

Hub 3.0

My service status has no known issues, on status part of my virgin account.

A couple of hours have past now since the upload,and ping seems to have gone back to normal, and so has upload returned to 3.1 mbps. Would be interested to know if this was a throttle or not? So I can plan my very rare youtube uploads accordingly. And also assess options for if my son wants to do streaming in future.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Its possible something else was uploading in the background. Dont forget P2P , cloud backups, syncing mobile devices that have new content on all use upstream.

You've seen the policy, so you know what NOT to do- but to be perfectly honest, one upload of the nature you describe is not near enough the threshold to trigger unless there is something else major going on.

Can you post the upstream and downstream stats from your HUB? Sounds more like upstream impairment than throttling to me....

0 Kudos
Dosedmonkey
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ok what would cause that?

Can I check now that the connection has returned to normal?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Dosedmonkey wrote:

Ok what would cause that?

Can I check now that the connection has returned to normal?

By posting power levels (upstream and downstream) from your HUB

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Kippies

Hello Dosedmonkey

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are having a few problems with uploading, we will take a look.

Line and hub all levels looking good, area historical data good also, does not look to be a traffic management issue either. The only thing I pick up at the moment is all your devices seem to be wireless and that medium is never the best for consistent ping or stability so I wonder if that plays a factor.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos