Menu
matatk93
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Terrible lag/ping since 2 weeks ago, unplayable games online

Hi, I've been a VM customer for a few months now and it's been great up until about two weeks ago when it all started to go wrong. There's been constant issues with high ping and lag affecting online gaming and it's not just at peak times either, it's throughout the day.

Judging by the amount of people posting on here and Twitter, it's definitely not just me or my area that's affected by these issues which leads me to believe that it's your service. Now I've got an Xbox One, try to play online when I can but up until two weeks ago it's become almost impossible as I just encounter terrible lag on EVERY game which makes it unplayable! It's very frustrating and I would like some answers as to why this is happening, what's wrong with the service and how it's going to be resolved. I don't fancy paying a monthly fee if the service is going to continue playing up like this!

Just as an example, I'd like you to watch this 20-30 second game clip I recorded on Gears of War. It shows the kind of lag I get on the European server (best one for UK users) which shows I have usually around 15-30ms. It doesn't make sense to say I have that sort of low ping but I'm lagging terribly! Here's the clip. http://xboxclips.com/JEFF+PLUM/0d173036-b4a6-4087-b1ea-50d69a71a144

I tweeted your VM team and they advised me to check the advanced settings of my super hub, which I did do and the firewall settings are already as they suggested anyway. They then suggested phoning your technical support team. The man said my connection looks fine but I'm getting those issues because I'm connecting to an American connection. I told him that I play Gears through the European server to which he had no answer. He did however suggest that I should set up port forwarding so I can prioritise the Xbox One and to go even further I should forward each game I play online for a better connection.

My issue here is that there's got to be something wrong with your service. I never had to take these steps before to play online as the connection has always been fine, so why should I need to now? There are lots of other VM customers complaining about the same issues from the same and many other different areas so this is obviously a widespread issue. I don't want to be shunned off, I would like to hear answers and see improvements to your service to go back to how it was before, so I can actually play online.

I look forward to hearing back from your team, thanks!
Eggymundo
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible lag/ping since 2 weeks ago, unplayable games online

Same problem here.

I've had Virgin Media for years and lately it's awful!

Battlefield 4 / 3 pings are around 100-130, keep getting kicked off servers for having a high ping, never mind rubber banding.
High pings are generally down to slow routers/switches and too many jumps through routers.

So they either have their routing tables mashed, or are doing a lot of work to their infrastructure and leaving backup routers running when they finish work.

The worse part of this its being going on now for 3 weeks, and I'm sick to death of it!

Please sort this issue a.s.a.p. can't play anything online currently because of it, and I pay for what?

Area: Liverpool
Package: 50Mb/s
Machine: Windows 10 (10586), nVidia GTX 970, i5 4670K, 16GB

Went on the Virgin Service Problems - None (but a auth problem with the website)

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Jack5
Joining in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Exact same issue here, also live in Liverpool.
0 Kudos
Eggymundo
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Great response on this issue from Virgin

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
matatk93
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I feel like I have been sent round in circles since this issue arose. Since I rang the gentleman at Virgin, I've suffered the same problems with my internet, it's still the same as it was. I've been constantly tweeting the support team on Twitter who are almost useless really because they just tell me to ring technical support... and here I am! One of their responses on Twitter was "you only posted it 28 minutes ago somebody will get back to you" - that was on Friday. It's now Sunday and it's been 48 hours. I still don't have a response nor am I any closer to solving this problem.

What's worrying me is, I don't have a computer or a laptop so if VM moderator replies to my thread with some jargon telling me to do this and that on the computer, well, I won't be able to do it and I don't think that's fair. This shouldn't be an individual problem as there's thousands, by the sounds of it, customers having the exact same problems.
0 Kudos
Eggymundo
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Still getting high ping, no response from support on this issue. QoS shocking

The best I get here is 110ms.Clipboard01.jpg

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Eggymundo
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Is my L18 area completely over subscribed?

0 Kudos
matatk93
Tuning in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I'm in Manchester, Area 20. Such terrible customer service I'm just being sent in circles. They could at least tell me something rather than just sending me to somebody else, I'm so frustrated with Virgin Media. I'm trying to watch the walking dead through my Xbox One on NowTV app and it's just lagging every few minutes. How can they not know what is going wrong with their own service when so many people are having the same problem. I feel like there's also nobody in authority who has the balls to tell me what's going on - I'm just being passed to the next person like cattle!
Eggymundo
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Sounds familiar,

I'd phone them up, but they'd be like "Test this, test that", stuff like "Ping that, by typing 'ping www.google.com'"

Like I don't know what I'm doing, I do this everyday as I develop software and test scalability and profiling speeds etc.

It'd take me several phone calls, questions until I start getting the answers, so I've decided to keep to the forum.

I know its them and not be because everyone I know with Virgin has the same problem at the moment.  So its their infrastructure.
But when you look on the Service Status it says "Everything working", when obv its not.

No transparency with the customer.  I only ask for an acknowledgement they have problems, are aware of it and are working on it, and an ETA would be nice.

Anyway tried PINGTEST.NET, here are my findings.  I'd do the same yourself and post yours, it may help lubricate the cogs as it where...

Clipboard02.jpg

Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi matatk93

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear of your issues when playing or streaming online using your Xbox One. It can take a few days for us to respond over the forum so if you bump your thread it will take us longer to answer as we work off of the OP's last response. 

I've run a few checks on your connection and everything is looking healthy. I can't see any problems affecting your hub or network segment. 

Are you connected wired or wireless?

If its over a wired connection can you put the hub into modem mode and let us know if there is any difference? 

Speak soon 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos