Menu
FpsCHRI5
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Superhub Is TERRIBLE!

I had been having issues with low internet speeds using wifi and lag spikes during gaming even though my PC and PS4 is wired connected.

Been looking through the forums and seen what advice has been suggested.

I decided to bite the bullet and go out and by myself a new router NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK R7000.

My internet speeds through wifi has increased considerably from 30mbps to 210mbps which is incredible.

Gaming now is bliss ping generally stays under 60 averages out around 30.

These superhubs aren't very super from what I have read about them. If your having problems I suggest buying a new router although we really shouldn't have to, the equipment that we have received from Virgin should be adequate.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub Is TERRIBLE!

The super hubs that have the word super are really super at being a modem.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

FpsCHRI5 wrote:
These superhubs aren't very super from what I have read about them. If your having problems I suggest buying a new router although we really shouldn't have to, the equipment that we have received from Virgin should be adequate.

I think adequate is the key word and for most of VM's 4.76 million broadband customers the hubs are adequate (even the crap SH1 for some apparently).  For those customers for which it is not adequate at least there is an option to switch to mode mode.  If VM were to start supplying high end routers for all customers then bills would have to be a lot higher for all of us to offset the cost.  I suspect for most people something like the R7000 would be overkill, but for you and I it is great and fits our needs.

I liken all free routers from ISPs to the free carrier bags that until recently were given out by supermarkets.  They were basic and for many people they were functional.  If however you found that this basic bag was not strong enough or big enough for your needs, would you complain angrily to the shop staff or would you buy a better shopping bag?  I bought better bags and a better router and saved myself a lot of grief.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

0 Kudos
FpsCHRI5
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What if you bought your shopping from the supermarket, which the kind people sold to you and bagged for you.

Then half way home the bag rips and your shopping ends up on the floor, eggs all over squashed bread and the food inedible.

Would I walk back to the shop and complain that the bags were not adequate for the weight which if they bagged I assumed were and would I request some sort of refund or a bag that was stronger out of disruption they caused me. Yes.

0 Kudos
StopItRawr
Rising star
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

FpsCHRI5 wrote:

What if you bought your shopping from the supermarket, which the kind people sold to you and bagged for you.

Then half way home the bag rips and your shopping ends up on the floor, eggs all over squashed bread and the food inedible.

Would I walk back to the shop and complain that the bags were not adequate for the weight which if they bagged I assumed were and would I request some sort of refund or a bag that was stronger out of disruption they caused me. Yes.

Instead of useless anecdotes how about sticking to the subject? (Also, sticking to your story, if you're too lazy to check your bags at a supermarket, then you deserve what you get. A supermarket is not responsible when their goods leave the store, but good luck finding a legal opinion that is counter to this).

ISP supplied equipment is meant to be a device that works, but isn't the highest end and is lacking in advanced features. Saying a Nighthawk R7000 is better isn't a shock, of course it is! If you want VM to supply that level of equipment you would have to pay for it one way or another. Instead VM have made the choice to supply a basic device and have modem mode for people who do not mind to pay for a user experience that is better.

Comparing a high end router to the Superhub is like complaining that your Lada isn't a Ferrari. Of course it darn well isn't. You get what you pay for, and as the Superhubs are free, you get free quality. Every ISP are the same in this regard which is why the aftermarket exists. I use a TP-Link Archer C9 as the SH3 is not adequate for my needs but I'm not going to moan at VM about this fact.

0 Kudos
FpsCHRI5
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I see the majority of responses to people's problems you have been very much on virgin media's side of the argument.

Why try so hard to defend Virgin Media what really do you get out of it?

I'm not sure if you work for virgin media or you just like kissing ass to maybe get a job in the future but your comment isn't really helping anyone at least I've told people that the router is poor and possibly changing it might be the solution.

Where as your just defending your beloved virgin media, but if you haven't got a job with them definitely apply there isn't enough kiss asses working for that place.

Or maybe there is?
0 Kudos
StopItRawr
Rising star
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

FpsCHRI5 wrote:
I see the majority of responses to people's problems you have been very much on virgin media's side of the argument.

Why try so hard to defend Virgin Media what really do you get out of it?

I'm not sure if you work for virgin media or you just like kissing ass to maybe get a job in the future but your comment isn't really helping anyone at least I've told people that the router is poor and possibly changing it might be the solution.

Where as your just defending your beloved virgin media, but if you haven't got a job with them definitely apply there isn't enough kiss asses working for that place.

Or maybe there is?

Or, maybe you can read what we posted.

Nobody is defending VM here. I clearly stated that I found the SH3 to not be fit for purpose and I have bought my own router. The difference is that I know that as VM subsidise these routers, and the end user gets a "free" device, that they aren't going to be the best of devices. Again, the SH3 is built for basic use, which is the majority of users. For users who need a better performing device, there is the aftermarket. If you look at my post history you'll see that I have been critical of VM on numerous occasions. However, when it comes to IT, you can get cheap, or you can get good. In the case of the Superhub, VM picked cheap. You're free to pick good if you want, but you have to pay, simples.

RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

FpsCHRI5 wrote:

If this happens in a Tesco bag, they cover you from Shop to Home.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wait I'm confused

I bought some eggs in Lidl. I was walking home with them on top of my SHUB (I take it with me everywhere, I find its a good ice breaker). They fell off and broke. Neither VM or Tesco will accept liability. Should I complain to OFCOM?