Menu
Mike_Smith
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 2ac - New Installation - Staff Help?

Hi,

I'm a new Virgin Media customer due to have my installation on the 24th February with the Vivid 200mb broadband package + TV & Phone.

I read yesterday about the Puma 6 firmware bug affecting the SuperHub 3 devices: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Hub-3-Compal-CH7465-LG-TG2492LG-and-CGNV4-Latency...

I'm a software developer and I spend most of my day SSHing into servers and writing code via VIM on the command line. 250ms ping spikes with jitter and potential packet loss are going to be the most annoying interruption imaginable and will make my internet connection near useless to me.

I called the PreInstallation team to try and get a SuperHub 2ac device instead of a SuperHub 3.0 but after 45 minutes getting Rick Rolled by Never Going to Give You Up (an inspired song choice for a customer service line) was told I'd have to downgrade to the 50mb package to get a 2ac (not a problem - I can always upgrade later) AND pay £77 a month for my revised package instead of the £55 I've signed up for. That's obviously unacceptable.

Can a member of forum staff help me arrange a SuperHub 2ac with my new installation - or at least help me fix the ridiculous pricing policy you've got in place so I don't have to pay more for a lower speed service?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 2ac - New Installation - Staff Help?

i think? the info you have been given is wrong - afaik all new installs now come with a hub3 - the faults are overstated in some part - some have little if no problem - have not followed the who saga but you have the further choice of the hub 3 in modem mode with your own router and if you want/need all 'normal' router functions thats the best choice as the firmware on all VM hubs bears no resemblance to 'normal'

pricing - i again think what they are saying is that the low price is new customer offer - change that and you lose the deal even though you are not yet a customer - guesswork on my part but thats as they would normally do it

Tony
0 Kudos
Mike_Smith
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony,

As you haven't followed the saga you probably won't know the details - the firmware bug is with the CPU in the SuperHub 3.0 and is technically not the fault of the manufacturer (Arris) - it's Intel's fault. Because the Puma 6 CPU is processing IPV4/IPV6 traffic via a software process and not via the hardware/accelerator, that software process is being interrupted every 2-3 seconds by a maintenance cycle which has a higher priority.

That's then showing up as lag to the end user across all protocols, the reason it doesn't seem to affect everyone is unless they're using applications which demand fast and stable pings they're unlikely to notice.

Unfortunately, the bug is present across both modem and standard router modes - I've got two RT68U routers at home and will be using the device in modem mode anyway, but that's not going to be any help due to the nature of the bug.

It's a fundamental flaw with the devices and frankly VM shouldn't be shipping them until Intel and themselves have addressed the problem.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Mike_Smith wrote:

Hi Tony,

As you haven't followed the saga you probably won't know the details - the firmware bug is with the CPU in the SuperHub 3.0 and is technically not the fault of the manufacturer (Arris) - it's Intel's fault. Because the Puma 6 CPU is processing IPV4/IPV6 traffic via a software process and not via the hardware/accelerator, that software process is being interrupted every 2-3 seconds by a maintenance cycle which has a higher priority.

That's then showing up as lag to the end user across all protocols, the reason it doesn't seem to affect everyone is unless they're using applications which demand fast and stable pings they're unlikely to notice.

Unfortunately, the bug is present across both modem and standard router modes - I've got two RT68U routers at home and will be using the device in modem mode anyway, but that's not going to be any help due to the nature of the bug.

It's a fundamental flaw with the devices and frankly VM shouldn't be shipping them until Intel and themselves have addressed the problem.

Thanks,

Mike

followed the saga was a general comment - i know all of that - further that firmware is possible to resolve it and that intel and working on that or may have a solution - however as the firmware in the hub3 is custom that will then have to be patched into the hub3 - when or if that is planned i  have no idea - sure it will happen in time

as said - again not knowing the full details some report better experience than others with the hub 3

but i come back to my main point - happy to be wrong but [afaik] all new installs regardless of speed are with a hub3 - there certainly is comment on here that there is no stock of old SH's for install - some have got hub3's changed for 2ac's but its been hard work - you can continue to ask but any info from offshore [in particular] should be regarded as questionable 

Tony
0 Kudos
Mike_Smith
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You're right - firmware is likely to resolve it eventually but I can't afford to wait an unknown number of months if I do have the problem - it's already been 2-3 months since the fault was first recognised and progress reports are thin on the ground as to when this is likely to be resolved. 

As to your point about SH2ac's - I have no idea if they still have stock, I'm sure they probably do somewhere but they're probably not easily accessible via their ERP system. The report I got from their PreInstallation team was that I could have a SH2ac if I took the 50Mb package and paid £22 more a month - I'd just like some clarity from a VM staff member and some assistance before my installation.

Fortunately, I'll have 14 days to cancel after installation if I do encounter ping problems - but I'd rather just try and avoid the issue entirely by getting a SH2ac activated during my installation - as switching providers twice in a 2 month period is going to suck.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Mike_Smith wrote:

You're right - firmware is likely to resolve it eventually but I can't afford to wait an unknown number of months if I do have the problem - it's already been 2-3 months since the fault was first recognised and progress reports are thin on the ground as to when this is likely to be resolved. 

As to your point about SH2ac's - I have no idea if they still have stock, I'm sure they probably do somewhere but they're probably not easily accessible via their ERP system. The report I got from their PreInstallation team was that I could have a SH2ac if I took the 50Mb package and paid £22 more a month - I'd just like some clarity from a VM staff member and some assistance before my installation.

Fortunately, I'll have 14 days to cancel after installation if I do encounter ping problems - but I'd rather just try and avoid the issue entirely by getting a SH2ac activated during my installation - as switching providers twice in a 2 month period is going to suck.

fully understand all of that - i again question the assurance that 50meg will get you a SH2 - but i like you am only a customer posting with what info i believe to be true - staff here will be limited in what they can help with - prices and deals they certainly cannot as they cannot give assurances on a SH2 or hub3 install

you are getting into their system and low initial deals are all aimed at new customers - change that and any low deals go out of the window as you have found - so 2 suggestions

1 - give retentions a ring - a bit back to front as you have not been connected yet but they may offer some clarity

2 - cancel your order and start again - sounds stupid but as i say by changing what you want even at this early stage you are losing new customer discounts 

the latter part of point 2 is also a risk if you do manage a low price deal at 50meg and find yourself with a hub3 and then decide to increase to 200 or whatever within your initial 12 month contract - you again may find the price increases more than you expect

difficult to get any clarity - the only thing i warn of is take promices from CS and pre-install with a large pinch of salt especially if you find they are offshore

so retentions - have a chat and see if they can help 

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - you are thinking of leaving us - dont worry about that they do much more - open 'till 8pm - 6pm on saturdays - closed sunday and the plus is its a UK call centre

you do have a 3rd option which is a business account - as far as i know that uses a completely different hub to any on the domestic tariff - costs i have no idea of

Tony
0 Kudos