Menu
tom9z
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 2 terrible.. Homeworks+ with Hub 3 any better?

Hi Guys,

I have the Superhub 2 at present and the 100Mbps down and it's pretty awful, After a few days of it being on I get really slow response times and the whole web interface becomes slow. If I ping 192.168.0.1 it can take up 2200MS to get a response, if I restart it after that it's fine for a day or so but soon returns to insanely poor speeds which is obviously not a good idea for FPS gaming.

I'm interested in the Homeworks+ 300 MBPS package as I'd like the SH3 and Virgin won't replace my SH2. Is it worth it and am I likely to experience the same issues?

Regards,

Tom.

0 Kudos
StormW4tch3r
Up to speed
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 2 terrible.. Homeworks+ with Hub 3 any better?

SH3 currently suffers from slow loading pages as well, theres is no ETA for fix for it, VM has brought out a new package called Vivid 200 Gamer 200 down and 20 up, maybe more suitable if you game as it removed upload cap.

0 Kudos
tom9z
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I'll look into it but it's not even the speed of the actual internet that's the issue it's the speed of the hub after it's been switched on for a while, the response times are too high. 2200MS when plugged in directly via ethernet is not acceptable.

0 Kudos
StormW4tch3r
Up to speed
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Try ringing VM retentions line explain to them that its slow etc, they might send you a new one out and probably request to send old one back, is it the SH2 or SH2AC or SH3 (white one)?

0 Kudos
tom9z
Joining in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I'm not sure which Superhub it is, it's definitely a 2 - this one : https://s3.uswitchstatic.com/_img/library/news_image/virgin_media_superhub_520x300x24_fill_hb5d4e514...

I tried LiveChat and they said they won't replace it but i'll give them a call anyway.

I just don't think it can cope with the amount of use I am giving it causing it to run out of memory and slow right down. I'm hoping that if I get the Homeworks+ connection I will get a router that is newer and better specced to give me better performance as it's rated for much higher speeds.

0 Kudos
StormW4tch3r
Up to speed
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

That looks like the hub 1, home works you will get sh3

0 Kudos
tom9z
Joining in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Oh right, yeah I just googled and it looks as if we may have the 1, i'm pretty sure we got this as a replacement for something else - maybe we had one that died I can't remember. I will double check when i'm at home.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

tom9z wrote:

Oh right, yeah I just googled and it looks as if we may have the 1, i'm pretty sure we got this as a replacement for something else - maybe we had one that died I can't remember. I will double check when i'm at home.

That's definitely a SH1 pictured.

It suffers from a flaw where after a few days responses can become slow and erratic. The minimum ping can ramp up and the whole connection becomes unstable as you described. This is known as the "ramping issue".

This is a well known issue that none of the other hubs have (SH2, SH2ac, Hub3).

You can cure it temporarily by rebooting the SH1 as you said.

To fix it permanently put the SH1 into modem mode (as it does not have the problem in that mode). Then attach a 3rd party router for wifi and routing.

The SH1 also is known for poor wifi.

Recommend the SH2 or SH2ac (the best one).

Call retentions (the thinking of leaving department) and explain calmly you need a better hub because of the known issues with this one.

0 Kudos
tom9z
Joining in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mud,

Thanks for your response.

After not being able to get it replaced I decided just to go for the new Vivid 200 package (Gaming) and they are sending me a Superhub 3. Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

StormW4tch3r wrote:

SH3 currently suffers from slow loading pages as well,

True, though not slow loading web pages. Just the GUI.

The reason is completely different than the SH1 problems this user is experiencing. On the SH1 the whole hub starts freezing more and more often (likely due to low memory fragmentation), affecting minimum latency, wifi and general connectivity.

In the Hub 3's case the hub itself runs fine (excluding firmware issues), it's just a poorly coded Javascript GUI that loads too many things on the login screen. That doesn't affect connectivity at all, because it's just when you use the GUI on your computer or device.

theres is no ETA for fix for it,

Not true. The slow login screen on the GUI is fixed in trial Firmware 9.1.116V which I have. It now loads quickly.

The rest of the GUI loads fine, except if you have tonnes of devices connected then the data can take a while to display.

On mine it's perfectly usable.

0 Kudos