Menu
olrod
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 2 AC Gaming LAG issue

Hello,

I am on Virgins fastest 200mb fibre connection but I cannot get a good experience when gaming online with this connection. At times the delay, lag and pauses are very bad. We have 2 x XBOX one consoles in the house. I have mine wired to a netgearR7000 router connected to the superhub 2 AC in modem mode as I purchased this to solve the lag issue but when playing FIFA 17 I cannot control the game and I sometimes get disconnected due to a dropout ? The latency is terrible. I questioned the other people I am playing against and they say their end was fine ??????? And some of them are on SKY, BT and have slower connections. Am I being throttled ?

Why does my fast connection lag and the slower connection I am playing against seem fine ?

Is this a Fifa issue? A compatibility issue or a virgin Issue ?

I have had a replacement Superhub so it is not this.  I now run the superhub in modem mode with a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk router feeding the same kit which has not helped so I assume it is not the superhub, an engineer came out once and tested the line for power etc and said it was fine. Is it possible to look at any logs / service to my property to see if the issue is with the feed, can someone check the wiring into the house or from the wall unit to the modem or is it just not capable of the demand ? 

Should I change from Virgin and try BT or Sky would another connection help so two superhubs ( 2 feeds ) I am at a loss as to what to do because I cannot get rid of this latency issue which affects alot of people.

Fifa is not the only game I get a latency issue with but it is the one which I notice it most.

If it cannot be fixed I may have to try another Internet provider sadly.

When I do get a good game and it plays smooth its great which is what saddens me the most

Hope you can help

Mike Olrod

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 2 AC Gaming LAG issue

Having a netgearR7000 router is good but not having the QoS set correctly will be like router mode.

From your other posts your on 152Mb or 150Mb? You can try setting up a rate for download on your netgearR7000 router to 140Mb and 9.9Mb upload for testing by here for bufferbloat.
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

When you get a A that should help with gaming when you have another device downloading or uploading because really no one knows what their devices are up to theirs days.

olrod
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Legacy,

I am on virgins 200mb service the fastest possible at present I believe.

I did have a fiddle with the QoS but found it made little difference or random results so could not tell....I did not actually know what I was doing truth be told. I am technically minded so with guidance I should figure it out.

In the house we normally have 2 x XBOX ONES playing at once so cannot fiddle with ports need to use UPNP.

And with various SONOS / NOWTV / SMARTPHONES being used wired and wirelessly I just cannot find a pattern of good or bad.

I will have another look at the QoS tonight. What do you suggest? Turn everything to low priority apart from both Xboxes ?

I am really pulling my hair out as to why my so-called fast conection lags when the opposite player from 50 miles away on tiscali 2mb gets super smooth gameplay on FIFA 17 ? Is it EA servers or is it Virgin as I am told when playing other people the connection is peer to peer which if anything should give me an advantage ?!?!

Legacy, what settings ( if you know ) would you change on a 200mb connection with 2 x XBOX ONES ( at present mine is connected directly to R7000 while the other is on the 5G wireless connection )

Could Virgin check my connection to see if I get throttled or saturated at peak times ?

Thanks for your help so far.

Mike Olrod

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You could setup a BQM and see how things are if their not post your downstream, upstream and logs from the super hub.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping
note that thinkbroadband as good as it gets is not 100% reliable but its dam close the odd packet my be caused by them at times or other reasons its all about knowing which is which.

0 Kudos
Wez2025
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

the problem is 2 consoles being conected at the same time virgin has always been **bleep** for it

both consoles fighting over the same port etc

0 Kudos
olrod
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I thought that was what upnp was for ?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

olrod wrote:
I thought that was what upnp was for ?

UPnP can cause a toggle between two 2 consoles but it does not solve the problem...thinking about it their might be a way of doing it but the consoles and the Upnp on the router both have to support a type protocol on existing protocol but that would not work for everything else.

that and UPnP is just bad.

0 Kudos
olrod
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I tried it with just my console and it still lags ?
0 Kudos
olrod
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I tried it with just my console and it still lags ?

Ill try the QoS but any tips on how to set this ?
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos