Menu
Tbilas
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Superhub 1 resetting itself when playing Hearthstone (Blizzard game)

As title, when I play hearthstone from Blizzard entertainment, the superhub resets itself, it is not every game but enough times a day to make it pretty much unplayable, last year I had the same issue with another blizzard game called Diablo 3, that was fixed with a firmware update to the router pushed out by virgin earlier this year, since that firmware update I now have the same problem with this game, and only this game.

Tech support through blizzard ent. has been thorough, no obvious connection issues between me and them, no server side issues, and the fact that the modem is resetting points at a hardware or firmware issue ... supposedly.

Any assistance would be appreciated, It seems Blizzard games through Virgin media are somewhat cursed.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Superhub 1 resetting itself when playing Hearthstone (Blizzard game)

Hi Tbilas,

Thanks for posting, though the disconnection events when playing Hearthstone must be frustrating, strange that this is only happening with that one game.

I've run a few checks on your service from this end and both your Hub and local network segment look to be in good shape with no apparent problems to explain any drops.

How are you connected wired or wireless and does the hub fully reboot when a reset occurs? When a reset happens is there anything reported in the Hubs network logs to record the event? It would be helpful if you post the logs here.

Hopefully we can puzzle out what's happening.

Cheers

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I would suspect firewall / flood control options. in those Blizzard games which have many thousands of players online all at once you could have many many incoming connections which the hub is not handling well

Tbilas
Joining in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply, Ok so as to whether the hub actually resets the truth is I cannot say for sure because the connection drop never lasts more than a minute, I don't get to the hub in time as it is in another part of the house before the connection re-establishes.

Here is specifically what happens, the game loses connection, at the same time I notice that the internet access in the bottom right of the windows desktop which shows status gets a cross through it and all internet connection is lost for that time, upon running network diagnostics at this time it tells me that the hub is not able to connect to the internet and recommends I power cycle it, at the same time the internet on my phone is lost too which is connected wirelessly to the hub, the PC however is connected via a cable that runs from the hub downstairs, to a wall plug, which transports the signal upstairs to another plug that wires directly to my PC.

I came to my conclusion because it is only down for a short time, and both the wired and wireless both stop for the same period of time on multiple devices but one on wireless and one wired, because of this I discounted the plug as the culprit.

I don't know how to put the data from the logs in a file so I will copy it here:

As I noted this is only happening with that one game, however prior to the last firmware update it was only happening for Diablo 3, the two games appear to have reversed their roles of cutting off my connection since the firmware update.

Network:

31/03/201609:33:31 GMT66050310Auth Success - Web login successful.
27/03/201622:47:47 GMT68010400DHCP REBIND WARNING - Field invalid in response
27/03/201622:47:05 GMT68010100DHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4
27/03/201622:46:24 GMT68010100DHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4
27/03/201622:45:02 GMT68010100DHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4
27/03/201622:42:17 GMT68010100DHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4
27/03/201622:36:49 GMT68010100DHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4
27/03/201622:25:54 GMT68010100DHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4
27/03/201622:04:03 GMT68010100DHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4

Firewall:

Thu 31 Mar10:33 BST192.168.0.11803Auth Success - Web login successful
Wed 23 Mar02:32 GMT209.126.122.3150844TCP- or UDP-based Port Scan
Mon 21 Mar01:41 GMT62.138.0.11850781TCP- or UDP-based Port Scan
Mon 14 Mar09:25 GMT85.25.43.23650841TCP- or UDP-based Port Scan
Mon 29 Feb18:34 GMT212.83.188.16150972TCP- or UDP-based Port Scan
Mon 22 Feb21:53 GMT195.154.183.12350801TCP- or UDP-based Port Scan
Sat 20 Feb06:21 GMT198.204.234.7450801TCP- or UDP-based Port Scan
Wed 17 Feb08:47 GMT188.138.57.1110482TCP- or UDP-based Port Scan
Mon 08 Feb17:21 GMT50.30.37.197608711TCP- or UDP-based Port Scan
Sun 07 Feb15:04 GMT192.168.0.9801Auth Success - Web login successful

I have attempted various configurations, such as firewall off/on, DMZ on/off, port forwarding for the specific blizzard ent. ports as they suggest, without any success, I went though exactly the same routine with Diablo 3 until the firmware finally rectified it, I am not necessarily saying that that is the case here, but it seems quite coincidental.

Again, thank you for any assistance.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

if the hub was factory-resetting itself - then your wifi password would revert to the one printed on the hub, so its not that

& if the hub were rebooting itself , then you'd see a connection time of only a few seconds, in the activity summary

e.g. if I sign in to my SH1 then click on the right hand box device connection status i get

Activity Summary

See how much data you have uploaded and downloaded since your Super Hub was last power cycled (that's switched on or rebooted). This information will be automatically reset when you next power cycle your Super Hub, or you can reset it manually.

Session Time   3days 9h:59m:21s

so check yours, if your session time is days or hours then your hub has not reset or rebooted & we can try to figure out what it has done....
your errors relate to DHCP renew - you can set that to one week-  go to advanced settings, DHCP, DHCP settings, look at lease time, change it to one week, see it that helps ( & tell us what it was previously set to )

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

I would suspect firewall / flood control options. in those Blizzard games which have many thousands of players online all at once you could have many many incoming connections which the hub is not handling well

Think you've hit the nail on the head Cybmole. Blizzards updates are distributed using P2P technology which is why the HUB thinks its detecting UDP flood.

@OP - Switch OFF flood detection on Superhub

Block the Blizzard updates - either switch the service off or block it in software firewall- test- report back.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

& we can perhaps explain the changing nature of the fault like this:

the older P2P game - diablo - has no new updates to distribute , thus problem goes away; but the newer game Hearthstone is regularly updating , so it floods the router ?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

& we can perhaps explain the changing nature of the fault like this:

the older P2P game - diablo - has no new updates to distribute , thus problem goes away; but the newer game Hearthstone is regularly updating , so it floods the router ?

Yeah thats my thinking. The newer the patch the more connections you will get incoming as more clients want the file. Similair to Bittorrent ,a large swarm will overwhelm a super hub fairly easily. Blizzard DDOS'ed me hub!

0 Kudos
Tbilas
Joining in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank you all for your input, just to say that flood detection is dissabled and has been for sometime, however I will look around online about how to block blizzard updates through my firewall, I get probably on average 2-3 disconnects an hour when I play Hearthstone. I think I understand what you are saying, I have a basic understanding of P2P.

Edit: It turns out the battle.net client no longer distributes using P2P, it was removed early to mid 2015 due to it causing too many user issues, however I will still look into blocking updates through the firewall and in the mean time have disabled the automatically updating feature via the client.

0 Kudos
Tbilas
Joining in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your help here Cybmole, my dhcp was set to renew once a day, I have changed it to one week. It was previously at one week I am not sure why or when this has changed, I will play and see if anything changes.

It cant be rebooting then as my session time is > 50 days.
0 Kudos