Menu
nicodemusUK
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

SuperHub3 latency alternative arrangements

Has anyone found switching to modem only and using a third party router takes any of the load off the cpu in the SH3 to reduce latency?

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: SuperHub3 latency alternative arrangements

The latency will still be there in Modem Mode because of the Puma chipset.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
nicodemusUK
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Phooey!!!  Thanks for the info. Don't suppose you know anything about firmware updates or replacements for the SH3?

0 Kudos
Pasbags
Dialled in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The firmware update won't fix a hardware problem.
0 Kudos
nicodemusUK
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The VM staff told me they were awaiting a firmware update which would help....... Do they say anything to get rid of your queries?  This was nearly a year ago, a pretty telling delay, I so wish there was a fibre alternative in my area - **sad, stuck customer**

0 Kudos
Luke_113
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@pasbags not stricly true, the firmware patch that is rolling out to the SH3's at the moment, fixes the ICMP issue (so actually hides the problem) but is still present, but I believe it is actually lessened as some people on the Puma 6 mega thread have seen less ping spikes as a result.

@nicodemusUK yes in short it does, I have the Hitron CGNv4 (as I'm on Virgin Media Business) but affected by the same issue, when I'd switched from static IP to dynamic IP so that I could run modem only mode, I started seeing a drop in my ping, sat behind my modem I run a pfsense router and I noticed lower ping spikes and overall a better experience, it doesn't solve the problem again lessens it, its something that this forum is absolutely filled with complaints about but VM do nothing to actually address, as I've already posted today on another thread, its mind boggling that VM don't allow customers to use a 3rd party modem OR simply replace the modem/routers of the customers raising it as an issue and not of those not complaining! The fact that no governing body has actually forced them to fix it shows the sad state of affairs the UK infrastructure is in