Menu
alainchateau
Dialled in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Strange dropouts have begun

My internet has been playing up with some very strange issues while gaming. This began a week ago and is getting worse. No settings have changed on the router by me to cause this. I did a master reset to see if it would rectify the problem and lo and behold it's made no difference.

See the video link for the drop in connection I am constantly getting in games. This seems to happen on 5Ghz / 2Ghz Wi-Fi plus when I connect via Lan.

My router Starts are as follows:

DownstreamDownstreamUpstreamUpstream

I also ran a monitor on my line overnight:

Monitor lineMonitor line

Any help greatly appreciated as I can't play any games online anymore.

0 Kudos
Chateau1984
Tuning in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Strange dropouts have begun

Images weren't loading so see below:

*Update* this issue seems to only happen on 5GHZ Wi-Fi which I need to get the whole 160mbps of my line. I've tried all kinds of settings on this frequency and it doesn't make a difference. Is there a new router I can try (I'm on superhub v2ac) or do I have to go out any buy my own one.

downstream.pngupstream.pngcd4a62f717622f9978244fec2458875f-22-01-2017.png

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi alainchateau, 

Thanks for keeping us in the loop with regards to your random connection drop issues, I apologise for any troubles incurred.

I have tested your connection from this side and I couldn't see anything that would explain the issues you mentioned. There are no errors or time outs inside the Hub's logs and all of the power levels are within the preferred ranges.

You mentioned in your update that this only seems to occur when connecting via the 5GHZ network, this is most commonly caused because the 5GHZ network rely's quite strongly on line of sight as it provides a stronger signal, but if any obstacles are in the path then this will have an impact on the connection. Also the range of the 5GHZ network is not as wide as the 2.4GHZ network which also will impact the connection should you decide to move around.

Here's a link to one of our help pages on getting the best wireless network signal, just click here. I hope this information was of use to you.

Please could you respond here with an update just to let us know how things are for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
alainchateau
Dialled in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your message. Signal wasn't a problem as I moved the box, tried various channels and bandwidth settings, didn't make a difference, looks like a firmware issue with your box looking at the forums.

I fixed the issue by buying my own Asus router! Seems like the Virgin box isn't up to the task at hand. My internet is rock solid now, Just a shame I had to fork out my own £65.

IMG_20170130_155821.jpg

0 Kudos