Menu
dissatisfied1
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Steam downloads disconnect net

I'll keep this as short and simple as possible. When steam downloads, 100% of the time I will suffer disconnects.

It will connect anything from 15 seconds to a couple mins but will without fail disconnect at some point. I've been having this problem for a couple years, indeed you can find many other ppl with virgin and steam having the same issue for at least 2-3 years. 

I get the same with torrent type files (probably both use p2p of some sort) but not quite as garunteed as steam. I assume the superhub has some issues with the multiple connections.

I use wireless - PLEASE - no comment's about changing to wired that always pop up here. It's not something I can change right now - PLUS - I've used wireless for a long time before with steam and had no issues at all (So I know it can work)

I have tried limiting the bandwidth in steam, even with a very low cap it still happens. I've done all the usual resets/reinstalls etc.

I may end up putting the superhub into modem mode and getting a better router or something if I can't solve it here.

TBH it's not the end of the world, I just generally deal with it. I haven't D/L a lot from steam for a long time but sometimes it bugs me. Would be nice to fix, or at least find out for certain why.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
legacy1
Hero
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Steam downloads disconnect net

dissatisfied1 wrote:

I'll keep this as short and simple as possible. When steam downloads, 100% of the time I will suffer disconnects.

Yes you will with the super hub in router mode you can try to limit this by setting in steam the "limit bandwidth to" try 2MB/s

I see you have tried that...maybe lowing the wireless speed in the super hub?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

dissatisfied1 wrote:
I'll give it a go if I can find it. Any suggestions to what speed? I get about 50-70mb from VM.

Wireless speed is always a bottleneck.  Although Manufacturers will quote theoretical wifi speeds of up to 300Mb/s for Wireless N for example.  The reality is a little more complex.

The maximum speed will depend on the maximum rates of both the Wireless access point on the router and the Wifi card on the PC.  What wifi card do you have.  You should be able to find this in device manager.  Typically I'd say 50-70Mb/s is good for a wifi connection though.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos

All Replies
dissatisfied1
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Oh also, this forum account is linked to my old inactive VM account. My virgin at this house is in my Fiance's name. Just didn't sort out another forum acc yet.
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

dissatisfied1 wrote:

Yes you will with the super hub in router mode you can try to limit this by setting in steam the "limit bandwidth to" try 2MB/s

I see you have tried that...maybe lowing the wireless speed in the super hub?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago but with a wired network adapter.

In my case it seemed that a driver and the steam client did not play nicely and steam was actually causing the network adapter to lock up.

Why am I saying this?  Well initially I thought that it was the Superhub at fault, but then I noticed other devices could happily connect to the net while the wired PC couldn't.  Add to this when I tried disabling and restarting the adapter, it wouldn't restart until after I'd rebooted the PC.  After which the steam download would kick back in and lock up the adapter again Smiley Sad.

So my suggestion in the first place would be if you have a second PC try installing steam on that and see if it locks up as well.  If not check to see if any other wireless devices can still access the net.  If it's the Superhub at fault then most likely they'll be kicked off at the same time.

Ravenstar68

dissatisfied1
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It does happen with uTorrent and some other game launchers, Possible World of Warships off the top of my head. Generally ones that use P2P style downloading instead of direct downloads

I can confirm what you're saying as iPhones, iPad, and laptops all stay connected. It only affects the PC it happens on. Always been the case.
0 Kudos
dissatisfied1
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'll give it a go if I can find it. Any suggestions to what speed? I get about 50-70mb from VM.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

dissatisfied1 wrote:

Wireless speed is always a bottleneck.  Although Manufacturers will quote theoretical wifi speeds of up to 300Mb/s for Wireless N for example.  The reality is a little more complex.

The maximum speed will depend on the maximum rates of both the Wireless access point on the router and the Wifi card on the PC.  What wifi card do you have.  You should be able to find this in device manager.  Typically I'd say 50-70Mb/s is good for a wifi connection though.

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos
dissatisfied1
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

ravenstar68 wrote:

dissatisfied1 wrote:

Ravenstar68

I do have a N rated 300mb/s wireless adapter on the PC. I'm on the superhub 1 still also. I have had up to 7/8 Mb/s download rate so pretty confident it's getting the most out of my VM package.

I've reinstalled both steam and wireless drivers, you mentioned you had the same issue. Was there any specific way you fixed it? I haven't had chance to limit the wireless speed in the hub yet. It's been a busy day.

0 Kudos
dissatisfied1
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So I was away for a week and have been fairly busy. I eventually got around to poking it today.

I've found out of the three wireless mode options in the superhub 54, 144 or 300 Mbps ( was set to 144 ) that 54 does let steam/torrents download without overloading the connection. At most I seem to get about 3mb/s rate on downloads but that's at least consistent without needing to reset the connection.

I do usually stream amazon prime on a Kindle, and sometimes a PS4 (daughter watches kids stuff) while gaming. Hopefully it won't result in poor performance there if too much is happening at once.

However I suppose I could change it back to 144 and just switch it to 54 when downloading on steam.

I'll probably try the superhub in modem mode at some point and buy a router but as it's not an emergency at the moment I most likely wont be spending the money anytime soon.

Thanks for the helpful replies, at least I now know the specifics.

0 Kudos