Menu
Olliecus
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Speeds not as promised - low download/high ping

Hi,

In a shared house, with 4 people total, we are experiencing very slow internet during peak times - around 7-9pm. This happens even if there is only 1 person using the internet. The speed varies from around 0.5mbps to 1.5mbps, where as in the very morning-midday we experience roughly 48mbps as it is what we are paying for. 

I have used the function of speaking to a support member through webchat, however they only notified me of some current upgrades in the area which may be effecting our speeds.

But, after reading through a number of the posts on the forums I have noticed that this has happened to other people, but in addition to the upgrades in the area, could also be because a technician/engineer is required. 

I will attach screenshots of the router status and network logs to see if this is the case. If anything else is needed I'm happy to provide other information

To add: I did not receive a reference number as to the works being done in the area, and the account having the issue is linked to a different email address. I have also started monitoring using thinkbroadband, and will update in a day or two.

Thank you.1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG7.JPG8.JPG9.JPG10.JPG11.JPG

0 Kudos
Olliecus
Joining in
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speeds not as promised - low download/high ping

Updating with thinkbroadband monitor results - only a short time monitor currentlyaaaaaa.JPG

0 Kudos
lenitron
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

They couldn't care less... just look at this forum, everybody is complaining about the same, I've been having this issue since Jun approx. and I've lost all my faith on it being fixed, and that is what they want, people getting frustrated and they just gave up. And if they want to proof me wrong on what I'm saying stop giving the same canned answers and fix the damn problem that you very well know is a fact.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Slow speeds only at peak times (typically 4pm-11pm weekdays and weekends) is normally a symptom of high utilisation/contention in your area.

Somebody from the VM forum team should be along in a few days (up to a week) to check your connection and can confirm if there is a known issue with your segment of the network. If that is the case they should provide a fault reference and pass your details onto another team who should inform you about your credit options for the lack of service via a PM. They should also be able to provide a review date for the fault. Note that it is a review date not an expected fix date and some customers affected by this kind of issue have been waiting years for a fix.

FYI The forum team respond to the oldest post waiting for a reply. This means if you keep posting on the thread or are having a conversation between members then it will bump you to the bottom of their list.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hello Olliecus

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are experiencing slow peak time speeds. Your connection is looking good apart from the high peak time area traffic. We are aware ref F004042923 and would like to carry out some upgrade work, the current review date is showing 01 MAR 2017. Please accept our apologies and if you would be kind enough to hang on a few days one of the forum team will be in contract to discuss further.

Thank you for your patience.

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Olliecus
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply Nicola, however this doesn't look like a connection that is 'good'. Unacceptable for Virgin Media to even think about signing up new customers when they can't keep up with the demand. 0.5mbps is not what we have signed up for, extremely unhappy - will not be using Virgin Media ever in the future.

This isn't even our worst graph...

s.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Stef32
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hello.Is not a point to wait..The Virgin media only promise ...Thei promise me to will fix it by 3 times..last chance is on 28 of deember..if nothing going to change i will simply leave them..
Im fed up all the time listening b*lshit and always without sence..No way!Will join BT..They have it slow internet but no lag and the speed is always same and i can play and enjoy online!

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language has been removed from this post. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
redridinghood
Up to speed
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

so true while everbodys posting there router stats and all these fault codes for different areas its just a delay as soon as the problem as been looked at and fixed the go and subscribe another 10 people so back to square one.......all its about is the£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££..............

0 Kudos
Olliecus
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

bad.png

0 Kudos
Olliecus
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

5853674569.png 

Sorry for the self bumps - but thought this was worth sharing.

0 Kudos