Menu
DoctorZed
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Speeds great, gaming not so much

For the last few weeks I've been having lag issues with a number of Xbox One games, mainly Destiny.

Seems to be that I'm lagging a good few milliseconds behind everyone and everything. This only started in the last few weeks, prior to that everything was fine. 

Speed tests are consistent and I've been unable to identify any jitter or packet loss, however I'm no expert. I've ran through my home network and am unable to find any culprit there.

Xbox is hard wired.

Here are some power levels, just incase.

Im on the superhub 2.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Speeds great, gaming not so much

Hi DoctorZed, 

Thanks for letting us know about your issues with your broadband's performance being poor when gaming. I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested things from here and I noticed that your area cable seems to suffer some load issues, especially during the peak hours. We're planning to undertake some upgrades to parts of our external network in your area in order to combat this. 

The upgrades will be to improve bandwidth and performance during the peak times, the reference number for this is F004972023 and is currently scheduled to be reviewed around the end of April.

Thanks for your patience regarding this matter, I will need to pass this onto another team to look at this for you. Once I've done that they will then be in touch with you with some more information. Before I can pass this on I will need to clear some security questions with you, I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required. Please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

All Replies
DoctorZed
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Downstream Channels
Lock Status Channel ID Frequency Modulation Rx Power RxMER Pre RS Errors Post RS Errors
Locked 13 299000000 Hz 256 QAM -2.5 dBmV 37.6 dB 999 957
Locked 9 267000000 Hz 256 QAM -2.6 dBmV 37.1 dB 701 285
Locked 10 275000000 Hz 256 QAM -2.3 dBmV 37.4 dB 281 279
Locked 11 283000000 Hz 256 QAM -2.4 dBmV 37.4 dB 312 310
Locked 12 291000000 Hz 256 QAM -2.4 dBmV 38.3 dB 299 297
Locked 14 307000000 Hz 256 QAM -2.6 dBmV 37.9 dB 310 301
Locked 15 315000000 Hz 256 QAM -2.6 dBmV 37.9 dB 303 302
Locked 16 323000000 Hz 256 QAM -2.5 dBmV

Upstream Channels
Lock Status Channel ID Frequency Modulation Tx Power Mode Channel Bandwidth Symbol Rate
NotLocked 0 0 Hz 0 dBmV 0 Ksym/sec
NotLocked 0 0 Hz 0 dBmV 0 Ksym/sec
Locked 2 31000000 Hz ATDMA 35.8 dBmV 64QAM 6400000 Hz 5120 Ksym/sec
Locked 3 24400000 Hz ATDMA 35.8 dBmV

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi DoctorZed, 

Thanks for letting us know about your issues with your broadband's performance being poor when gaming. I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested things from here and I noticed that your area cable seems to suffer some load issues, especially during the peak hours. We're planning to undertake some upgrades to parts of our external network in your area in order to combat this. 

The upgrades will be to improve bandwidth and performance during the peak times, the reference number for this is F004972023 and is currently scheduled to be reviewed around the end of April.

Thanks for your patience regarding this matter, I will need to pass this onto another team to look at this for you. Once I've done that they will then be in touch with you with some more information. Before I can pass this on I will need to clear some security questions with you, I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required. Please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

firestorm
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dr Z,

Assuming you do not use a hub 3 but a superhub 2 or 2ac, do you have configured it to use modem mode and use your own decent router? If those assumptions are correct have you implemented QoS to control bufferbloat (sacrifice some speed (3% to 10%should be sufficient) to improve the quality of connection, because for gaming, ping is king not speed)? If you do not use modem mode, use it and get a decent router with a solid QoS implementation, personally I use a ubnt EdgeRouter and while it is a little complicated to set up, it is excellent.

If you are using a hub 3 then it is a different story, there is know issue with the firmware for Intel's puma 6 chipset, whereby it is not offloading some tasks to hardware like it should and there is a periodic high priority that run and kills performance, this is not VMs fault and it is worldwide issue with all modem/routers using this chipset... The arris router (hub 3) is actually a decent bit of kit, probably the best bit of kit VM have ever provided with their internet connections so I'm looking forward to the fix.... In the meantime if I were you, if you have an old superhub 2 or a 2ac laying around I would phone the fault line and get them to reactivate until the fixed firmware is released for the hub 3, if you don't have an old router laying around you can ask them to send you one I guess...

Vivid gaming BB ✔
DoctorZed
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Regarding Fault ref: F004972023 - I was told I would receive communication from someone about credit on my account till this has been resolved, but I'm yet to hear from anyone. I tried bringing it up with Live Chat, but I may as well have been talking Klingon.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear this DoctorZed,

I've re-escalated this over to another team to discuss the fault with you further.

They will be in contact via private message with you soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos