Menu
Mr-Hare
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Slow downloads in evening and IP fragment message on PS

Hi, I posted in this similar thread last week but didn't get a reply.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming/PS4-Low-LAN-Download-Speed-At-Night-IP-Packet-Fragmentat...

I've been having the same issue on the ps3 and ps4 for over a week with the randomly slower speeds in the evening and the IP fragments message on the PlayStation speed tests.

I've tried both wireless and modem mode direct wired but both are still happening.

The IP fragments message on them doesn't appear all the time. That's random as well. But it shouldn't be there at all in modem mode with it not using the router but it still does.

The last time the IP fragments message appeared was months ago and it ended up being a Sony problem they fixed. I don't appear to be having problems playing online or anything so maybe that's a bug their end again.

But the speed drops are becoming a problem. Last night from about 7pm it was only reaching 10 out my up to 100.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Slow downloads in evening and IP fragment message on PS

Hi Mr-Hare,

Sorry to hear you're getting fluctuating speeds. I remember the PS issue that kept showing IP fragments and that was fixed some time ago. I'm hoping the same hasn't started again though my own PS connection has been fine.

I've checked your connection and can see there is a contention fault in your area under ticket F004146109. This will cause slow speeds and latency at peak times and is due for review 18/05/16. It looks like this is the cause of your issues and the IP fragment message may be a result of the connection being congested. 

I've just sent you a further private message regarding this. To view your messages just click the envelope at the top of the forum. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

All Replies
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Mr-Hare,

Sorry to hear you're getting fluctuating speeds. I remember the PS issue that kept showing IP fragments and that was fixed some time ago. I'm hoping the same hasn't started again though my own PS connection has been fine.

I've checked your connection and can see there is a contention fault in your area under ticket F004146109. This will cause slow speeds and latency at peak times and is due for review 18/05/16. It looks like this is the cause of your issues and the IP fragment message may be a result of the connection being congested. 

I've just sent you a further private message regarding this. To view your messages just click the envelope at the top of the forum. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Mr-Hare
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update.

Yeah, the IP fragments is a strange one. It doesn't show every time and I can still play online on all the games I've tried. Like I said I tried the Superhub in modem mode direct wired and still got it which shouldn't happen as it's not using a router. That's what makes me think it's a bug on Sony's end again.

Thanks again.
0 Kudos