Menu
dav88
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Slow broadband speed in the evening / packet loss RG42 area

Hi there,

Last week there was a fault in my area (RG42) following a short powercut. Virgin Broadband went down for a few hours but the issue was fixed pretty swiftly.

However, since then speeds in peak hours have fallen significantly. I normally get around 44 mb off-peak and 15-30 mb during peak hours. These are now around 1.5 mb - 6 mb in peak times. Also as a gamer I've noticed 1-10 packet loss in a couple of games such as Counter Strike which make it feel pretty laggy.

On a ping test the jitter is normally a low 2-4ms and this now fluctuates between 5ms - 15ms during peak.

I wondered if anyone in the area had experienced similar and if someone from Virgin was able to look into the issue.

Best wishes

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow broadband speed in the evening / packet loss RG42 area

Hi dav88,

I'm sorry to hear peak time speeds have dropped since the power cut and subsequent outage.

I've had a look it seems there are some errors on the cable during peak times, this could be causing the issues, especially if you're seeing packet loss and an increase in jitter.  This does look to fluctuate a little from day-to-day.  I'm going to keep an eye on things over the next 24 hours so we can get enough information for this to be looked into further.

I'll check back in once I have an update with some news.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi dav88,

I've been keeping an eye on things over the past few days and it seems that the peak time issues are being investigated by our engineers.  They're currently looking into the process of implementing broadband upgrades to supply the increased demand for services in the area.  

The work is currently in the planning phase, but once completed all of the slow speed issues will be resolved.  I can see there should be further updates within the next few weeks, give this thread a bump any time you'd like a further update.

In the meantime, give our team a call on 150 free from a VM line or 0345 454 1111 as you're entitled to a credit for loss of service.  Just quote reference F003417538 and we'll get this arranged for you.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
dav88
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Dear Kev_B,

Many thanks for the update and good to hear that Virgin are looking into the issue. Grateful if you can let me know of any changes so I can keep an eye out for any improvements.

Thanks for the number, I'll be sure to give them a call.

Best wishes

Dave

0 Kudos
dav88
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Additionally, do you know what team I need to get through to receive credit. I seem to be getting lost on the technical line!

Many thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi dav88,

My pleasure, technical support should be able to do that for you if you inform them of the reference.  Alternatively you should be OK speaking with customer services.

Let me know if you have any trouble and I'll see what I can do to sort things out.

Kev

0 Kudos
dav88
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Dear Kev_B,

I hope you're well.

I'm still not having much luck in terms of web speeds. I feel that my net is being throttled considerably during peak hours from around 7.00/7.30 to around 10:00 quite regularly. A speed test shows speeds of around 1.5 - 2meg during peak compared to 40-45 meg off peak. This makes it quite difficult if my girlfriend is watching netflix or even browsing the net and I'm playing a game or whatever.

Any update on how the work is going would be appreciated.

Kindest regards

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave,

Thanks for getting back in touch, I'm really sorry to hear the problem is ongoing and so bad now.

I've checked the fault reference F003417538 and can see some further downstream channels were added at the end of April.  Unfortunately this hasn't had the desired effect and as a result our engineers are planning more expansive upgrades, which will take a little longer I'm afraid.  The current review date for the work is in August.

Keep an eye on things here, give us a bump anytime you'd like a further update.

Kev

0 Kudos
dav88
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kev,

Has there been any further progress on this matter? The speeds in the evening are now around 1meg down from around 45-50 offpeak.

I'm set to move house shortly to the Binfield area (around 5 minutes away) post code RG42 4QW.

Am I likely to witness the same issues? If so, am I able to cancel my package as the issue is taking longer than I'd hoped.

As ever, many thanks for your help.

Best wishes

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave,

Sorry for the ongoing issues, it looks like F003417538 is still ongoing and it will be a little longer before there's a firm update.  Regarding the new premises, it'd be best to check things with our customer services team when setting up the move.

Let me know if you have any further queries.

Kev

0 Kudos