Menu
LouisJackson2
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Slow Internet Speeds on PS4.

Hi, 

I am in a student house in the Harborne, Birmingham and since Christmas I have had many issues with my internet speeds. Before Christmas, the 5 of us in the house could be doing whatever, and I would be able to game on my PS4 without any problems. However, since Christmas, it has been near impossible. I have the SuperHub 3.0 and whilst on wireless (I am quite far away from the router) I was now only receiving around 6Mbps download speed. I tried to port forward certain games, but with little success. Since, I have purchased a cat6 ethernet cable to plug into my PS4. My first speed test on the console showed 88Mbps download, around 3pm, however at 9pm, I was back to receiving 2Mbps download. This is very frustrating as I have paid £16 to try and resolve these slow speeds and nothing has changed? As I previously said, it was fine before Christmas? I also ran a diagnostics test, and it said that the "Wired client on port 4 is running at 10 Mbps", not sure if this is relevant? Any help would be appreciated, as I spend most of my free time on the PS4!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
LouisJackson2
Joining in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow Internet Speeds on PS4.

Turns out this seems to be a problem in the evening. Speeds are 50Mbps+ during the day, but from 8pm onwards they drop below 7Mbps. Could someone please help/look into this? Thanks again.
0 Kudos
LouisJackson2
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Bump. This still needs resolving ASAP - very frustrating. I cannot use the live chat feature as I am a student and my Landlord has the "My Virgin" account. 

0 Kudos
LouisJackson2
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Looked into this even more, when searching my postcode B17, many seemed to have problems with extremely slow internet during peak times. However, no one in the neighbouring post codes seem to have any. This is a clear area issue!

0 Kudos
LouisJackson2
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This is still a problem that hasn't been resolved. Really not sure what I should do? 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi LouisJackson2,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to read that you are experiencing slow broadband speeds. I know how frustrating this can be.

I've managed to locate the account and it appears that you are being affected by a high peak time traffic fault in the area. Our networks team are investigating the problem and are improving bandwidth and performance to help with this issue. The reference number is F005022093 and has a review date of 12th July.

For further updates, by all means post back here and we will check this for you.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Darlington
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I had this problem with my son and his and then we got a TP link kit which basically is 2 plugs connected to the electric plugs but you have one by the router and it has a wired connector so you attach a cable to router connecting plug and router and then do same with PS4 so it connects plug socket wired to PS4.

Once I did this he had no more problems.

Got my kit for about £20-£25 of Amazon just type in TP link or I believe Virgin sell Powerline kit which is the same thing.

0 Kudos
LouisJackson2
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, 

Thank you for the advice, however, I recently saw someone else from the same area as me, B17, complaining about the same problem. They received a response saying this would be addressed in December 2016? I am slightly confused as to why this has not been resolved and why it will take until July?  Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Evening LouisJackson2,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

In regards to high peak time traffic faults, these have review dates as they can be subject to change due to the work that is required to improve bandwidth. This can include adding extra downstream channels, hardware changes at the CMTS, digging up roads/paths which all require planning permission. Nearer the review date the engineers will assess the issue and if there has been an improvement the fault will be closed down, otherwise they will continue with additional work.

Also these faults will affect cable lines rather than post code area's. I understand that you are in the same area however you might not be on the same cable.

Hope this makes sense
Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide