Menu
j0s800
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Since my last recent 'maintenance' on my broadband connection ping spikes of 300 - 900

So before I managed to get everything working fine once I realised it turned out that an extremely paranoid and stupid firewall was actually responsible for all my ping problems but now all of a sudden it looks like there's a possibly a real issue. Virgin Media recently announced they were doing maintenance on the connection, fair enough but after awhile I began to immediately start experiencing horrible ping spikes with my connection.

Since I can safely now rule out any problems with the router firewall affecting gaming ping and the smoothness of my connection there's clearly something that's happened. Would one of the staff mind checking my connection?

I'll post up bandwidth tests as usual if it's necessary and see how it looks.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Since my last recent 'maintenance' on my broadband connection ping spikes of 300 - 900

Best to post your DS and US power levels anyway, and also your TBB monitor if you have one setup?

www.thinkbroadband.com\ping for the TBB monitor.

0 Kudos
j0s800
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Since my last recent 'maintenance' on my broadband connection ping spikes of 300 - 900

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/4f805eb70f70c664e1d5870c62d8dfd5.html

Is there an easier way to get the downstream table onto the forum? This place really doesn't like it when you copy and paste directly.

power ( dbmV ) - 5.3 - 6.5

Downstream - 37.3 - 38.6

Upstream - 37.8

0 Kudos
FosDagger
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Any updates on this? I also can not connect to anything properly. Ping and packet loss are off the charts. Has Virgin said anything yet?

0 Kudos
j0s800
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Well I've left my BQM and it's showing packet loss, not major ones, but there, my experience on BF4 is varied.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi j0s800,

Thanks for posting back on the community. It's nice to have you here.

I'm sorry to read that you are experiencing high ping spikes.

Looking at your connection, the line and hub have come back as fine. There are no faults reported and the traffic on the network is running stable.

Can you post an up to date BQM graph for us please?

Are you able to post your ping tests and some trace routes as well please?

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
j0s800
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for the late reply, been poking around a lot.

Well I don't know what's been happening but for once virgin media it doesn't look like you're to blame. I tried a couple of other multiplayer games to try and get the gist of what was happening and see if anything was wrong but it looks like it was actually an issue with Battlefield 4. I don't know what EA did but they seem to have fixed it now as the ping looks very stable.

So sorry about that, I've just had so many bad experiences in the past my ISP is usually the first thing I think of particularly after discovering it was the router firewall that was causing all of my problems before. I'll keep an eye on thing still and let you know if anything crops up but either the problems on the ISP end went away or EA fixed a problem with their networks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Morning j0s800,

Thanks for getting back to me.

There's no need to apologise, I'm just glad that you found out what was causing the issue and all is working ok now.

Keep an eye on the connection and if there are any further issues, by all means get back in touch.

If I don't speak to you before, I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Take care

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
j0s800
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Spoke too  soon, experiencing ping spikes as we speak, I'll take some screenshots, I did actually provide a link to my BQM but you didn't seem to look at it.

0 Kudos
j0s800
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Just a small update, I don't know what's been going on specifically, but so far it seems things have gotten more stable, since this was over the Christmas period, I can only guess that there may have been that many people online at once either messing up the ISP or the games themselves, that's all I can guess because the ping seems to be a lot better now.

0 Kudos