Menu
Stevemc0
Tuning in
Message 1 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Sh3 lag spikes making gaming experience terrible

I have the 200mb connection with the sh3 super hub. My connection is wired with cat 6 e cable and my connection is really unstable the download speeds fluctuates any where from 60 mbs to 0.01 Mbps anytime of the day or night i have only got up to 200 Mbps a couple of times my ping to Microsoft is always at 160 ms plus all the time which makes gaming almost impossible.
My connection issues are down to two problems the first is the firmware on the sh3 causing lag spikes and instability which you can read on other parts of the forum so is a known issue. This has been temporary fixed for some customers by reverting Back to the sh2ac hub on 200mbps connection until a firmware update is done on the sh3 hubs. The other part of my problem is to do with the cable from the street cabinet to my property, when the engineer came to install the virgin equipment he had a poor signal for the fibre broadband so he boosted the signal from the street cabinet but said that it may only be a temporary fix, long term would be to replace cable from street cab to property.
I have contacted customer services a few times and gone through the checks which I had already done anyway only to be told that there was no fault and my Xbox one is the problem as it can't accept speeds of more than 100mbs which I know is utter rubbish, I have friends that have direct fibre to their property with speeds of 500mbs upload and down load which the Xbox one can handle no problem. I am fed up with the rubbish answers I reapetedly get from customer services and the technical team about it being an issue with Xbox one I have now got the Xbox one s which still has the same problems I have put it into DMz and tried Porto forwarding etc etc but still get the same problems i.e. Ping too high very low to non existent connection and my nat type being open one day to being strict another day or it changing during the day or night. When I was on sky fibre I didn't have anywhere near any problems as I am experiencing with virgin sky connection was only a 50mbps but my connection was always at 48mbps all the time and my ping to Microsoft was always at 150ms or just below which Microsoft recommend for a good gaming experience. My nat type never changed it was always open.
I feel that with the problems I am experiencing and that there is proof of the problems with the sh3 hub I have good grounds to cancel my contract with virgin as they have supplied defective equipment not fit for purpose and by the attitude of the customer services and technical team won't be fixed anytime soon. Can someone from the forum team please look into these problems and shed some light on it and maybe look at getting my cable replaced from the cabinet to my property. My next door neighbour has already left virgin and gone back to sky because of the same issues many thanks in advance
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
legacy1
Hero
Message 15 of 29
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Sh3 lag spikes making gaming experience terrible

Run and post your test of this.
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest
note may need to change upload method to web socket for the speed test.

Then try setting the following limits for the QoS
download 65536 Kb
upload 5056 Kb

then run and post another speed test if test shows good try increase the limits.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hello Stevemc0

I am really sorry you are having problems with gaming and we would like to do our best to help. I appreciate what you say about the hub and the line but there are a couple of interesting things I notice.

XboxOne       192.168.0.20    ethernet 4 @ 10Mbps     

XboxOne       192.168.0.100    ethernet 1 @ 10Mbps    

The Xbox seems to only be negotiating a 10Mbps connection on the Ethernet, not sure why this should be and understand what you say about the cat 6 cable but it may be worth trying some others. There is a LED where the Ethernet lead plugs in the hub by the way, green = 1Gbps,  orange = 100/10 Mbps if that helps.

Also the hub has 150 timeouts in the last 24 hrs. The line and hub look good however on further examination it looks like the area upstreams that you use have low level errors that may cause them, lag and packet loss. I have asked our network engineers to take a look ref F004983230 estimated fix 13 JAN 2017. Fingers crossed once that is mended you will notice an improvement.

Thank you for your patience

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
Stevemc0
Tuning in
Message 3 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply. I have checked the lights and both are showing green 1Gps. I will look into why Xbox is only negotiating 10mbps that is a bit strange. Hopefully the upstream fault will help aswell
Many thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hello Stevemc0

Thanks for getting back, at the moment I see only one connected with 1Gbps.

XboxOne  192.168.0.100    ethernet 1 @ 1Gbps

and the other on port 4 still as 10Mbps

XboxOne  192.168.0.20  ethernet 4 @ 10Mbps

I am not sure if you have tried anything but hope that helps.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Stevemc0
Tuning in
Message 5 of 29
Flag for a moderator

The other Xbox on port 4 is a second Xbox that gets used by the kids to play minecraft etc so is not as important.what I did do was check Microsoft forum and and found that there is a potential problem with Xbox being on instant on mode that can create connection problems, so I have changed setting to energy saving mode on Xbox on port 1 which may have made a difference
0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 6 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Thats a simple answer, the xbox is in standby mode, most ethernet devices will lower connection speed while that is the case to save power, it will quickly negotiate a faster speed when it is in use.
0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 7 of 29
Flag for a moderator

In regards to the lag spikes, this will be the Hub3 Puma CPU fault where a process that runs frequently disrupts the modem from replying to requests as quickly as needed every 10 seconds or so, to be honest with you the Hub3 has been a complete disaster since it was released, I love virgin but I can't excuse this poor judgement in releasing what was at best an alpha stage device, now I was able to revert back to the SH2AC and keep my gamer profile, but this was awkward and I'll be honest with you the communication between virgin departments is such that they either say there is no problem, there is nothing they can do, or you get that 1 guy/girl who will spend the time to make the magic happen, but I can't promise you this, and with how long it took them to fix the port flapping issue (a previous fault) the update intel have released could still take virgin god knows how long to implement I know this seems gloomy, but I'd try to fight for a SH2AC and I wish you luck!

0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 8 of 29
Flag for a moderator

My mothers Hub3

IMG_0036.PNG

My SH2AC

IMG_0034.PNG

0 Kudos
Stevemc0
Tuning in
Message 9 of 29
Flag for a moderator

That's why I'm thinking of going back to sky, I never had any problems with them. I can see from your screen shots the difference, I don't know why virgin won't do something about this surely the costs involved could be passed onto Their suppliers for supplying them with substandard equipment. I will put up some router stats just to see if maybe I have a problem there
0 Kudos
pyrotenax
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Here is mine ...

Hub 3.0Hub 3.0

Running ASUS RT-AC88U with Asuswrt-Merlin firmware
0 Kudos