Menu
thomasscrase
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Several crippling issues

I started a 50mb/s contract in September for my student house of 4 people. It started off fine with high speed and great ping to most eu gaming servers (~25ms), but since just before Christmas it has been laughably slow. I get <500kb download speed from youtube when I'm the only person in the house mid afternoon, the internet will suddenly stop working for everyone in the house and restart at a crawling pace several minutes later, just downloading the verification email for this account took upwards of a minute. Ping to Dota2 eu west servers is frequently over 100ms with frequent (every couple of minutes) lag spikes of between 2000-12000ms latency according to the in-game ticker. I'm well aware that connection quality must drop somewhat at peak times but these issues are occurring at all hours. I have to use wireless connection since the wall connection is in the lounge, I've tried connecting via ethernet in the past but this didn't help, restarting the router helps for 5 or so minutes but then the quality quickly drops to the terrible levels I've grown accustomed to since starting this contract. Virgin media boasts so much about it's cracking hardware but I may as well be using a potato as a router. Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Several crippling issues

Hi Thomasscrase,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're getting poor speeds and lag spikes. 

I believe there are a few different factors at play here, first of all you're connecting wirelessly which is prone to a whole load of different interference outside our control. Although you've tried wired before I would still advise wired over wireless with anything to do with gaming.

I've checked your connection and can see that your downstream power levels are too high which will cause slow speeds and drop outs so we'll have to get a technician out to adjust this. I've just sent you a private message to arrange the best time for this.

And finally there seems to be some issue with some EU servers which is causing problems primarily with CS:GO and Dota2. Let's get the power levels sorted first then we can take a look at the other issues.

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Setup a BQM graph to monitor the latency on your connection: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

0 Kudos
thomasscrase
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

An engineer was sent round but, since I wasn't in the house at the time, my housemate dealt with him. We were told the router we were provided with wasn't up to the job or wasn't the correct one and we would have to pay for a new one. Surely it is the fault of virgin media if the hardware is faulty

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

thomasscrase wrote:

An engineer was sent round but, since I wasn't in the house at the time, my housemate dealt with him. We were told the router we were provided with wasn't up to the job or wasn't the correct one and we would have to pay for a new one. Surely it is the fault of virgin media if the hardware is faulty

You don't normally pay for VM equipment (only for postage in certain circumstances). Tech's do like-for-like swaps without cost when they visit (it's part of the deal). Something else going on here or your mate got the wrong end of the stick? e.g. talking about upgrades.

0 Kudos