Menu
richto
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

SH3 high latency / packet loss

Hi, 

I have problems with high latency / packet loss on my relatively recently installed SH3. This has negatively impacted online gaming as well as general use of the internet. Below is a graph showing recent latency / packet loss on my connection.

I am already running in pass-through (modem) mode and performance is still terrible.

I understand that this is a known issue - and to fix this requires either a firmware update (ETA?) - or a "downgrade" to the older Superhub 2AC - how do I get one please?

My Broadband Ping - mail.tdrmail.co.uk
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 11 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: SH3 high latency / packet loss

Hello richto,

Thanks for keeping in touch Smiley Happy

Really sorry to see that you're having problems with your connection, I appreciate this is frustrating.

With regards to using a Superhub 2AC, this might be an option we can explore. Have you got a Superhub 2 AC spare at home? If so we might be able to reactivate it.

Let us know so we can help further.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi richto, 

Thanks for the post! I am sorry to hear about your latency and packet loss issues, I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I have tested your connection from here and I noticed that your area cable seems to be suffering some load issues, especially during the peak hours. We're planning to undertake some upgrades to parts of our external network in your area in order to combat this.

The upgrades will be to improve bandwidth and performance during the peak hours. The reference number for this is 

F003389984 and is currently scheduled for review around the beginning of April.

Thanks for your patience regarding this matter, I will pass this onto the relevant team to pick this up and provide some more information for you. Before I can do this, I will need to confirm a few security details with you. I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required. Please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

0 Kudos
richto
Joining in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adam,

Traffic contention issues are not unusual for peak hours on a shared service - and I have no problem with that if it was the case - but as you can see the high latency issue is present most of the time regardless of how busy the network is - therefore I doubt that this problem is only traffic related. 

As per my post I suspect this more likely relates to the known CPU load / latency issue with the SH3 hardware. Are you are to comment on either a timescale for a firmware update (if it can be fixed!) or how to downgrade to a SH2AC which apparently resolves the issue please?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
richto
Joining in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I still need a downgrade to a SH2 AC. The issue raised with support is only regarding local peak time contention - which is not the major cause of my issues as the intermittent high latency happens all the time...

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi richto, 

Thanks for posting! I am sorry to hear about your issues with high latency and packet loss, I apologise for any troubles incurred.

I have tested things from here and I can see that your area cable seems to be suffering some load issues, especially during the peak hours. We're planning to undertake some upgrades to parts of our external network in your area in order to combat this.

The upgrades will be to improve bandwidth and performance during the peak hours, the reference number for this is F003389984 and is currently scheduled for review around the beginning of April.

Thanks for your patience regarding this matter, I will need to pass this onto another team to take a look at this for you but before I can do so I will need to clear security with you as our process for doing this demands.

I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required, please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted.

Speak soon, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

richto wrote:

Hi Adam,

Traffic contention issues are not unusual for peak hours on a shared service - and I have no problem with that if it was the case - but as you can see the high latency issue is present most of the time regardless of how busy the network is - therefore I doubt that this problem is only traffic related. 

It definitely looks like it is traffic related according to your BQM, and it's perfectly normal for cable networks to combine two or more area nodes at the CMTS and therefore for traffic outside peak time to be much higher than expected. Search the forum, it's happened before.

As per my post I suspect this more likely relates to the known CPU load / latency issue with the SH3 hardware.

Nope, then why is your graph much different to other people with a Hub 3? but believe what you want to believe.

Are you are to comment on either a timescale for a firmware update (if it can be fixed!) or how to downgrade to a SH2AC which apparently resolves the issue please?

I'll eat my hat if a SH2ac or firmware fix, resolves your problem.

Thanks.

If it was me I'd be thinking seriously about moving to another ISP, as utilisation issues can take a year or more to be rectified.

richto
Joining in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the advice but I think what you are saying is incorrect for several reasons.

Firstly my BQM samples are entirely consistent with the Puma 6 issue in that whatever the average / minimum latency, there are still constant regular high latency peaks of ~ 100ms. You can see when there is significant traffic contention / load as this is indicated by the average latency in blue increasing - as you would expect. However I still get high yellow peaks all the time when the average latency drops.to a more normal level. If the average latency is normal / flat - that implies little traffic contention - and therefore the ongoing high latency peaks are unlikely to be a load related issue at that time...

Also - as it says above "The upgrades will be to improve bandwidth and performance during the peak hours" - this issue is not just in peak hours.

Secondly, the latency issue with the SH3 hardware is now well known, proven and as far as I aware not selective. If you have one you have the issue. The question is does it impact you, and do you notice / realise what the problem is and ask virgin to do something about it. I believe that it does impact me even if it isn't the only issue here.

Thirdly, I'm the customer - I have asked for something entirely reasonable in the circumstances - regardless of that you personally think that it might not help, it's what I want.

0 Kudos
richto
Joining in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the offer via pm of a credit until the congestion is resolved, but that still doesn't address my request for an SH2 AC3 hub. My latency issues are primarily due to the SH3 hub as they occur all the time regardless of traffic levels....

0 Kudos
Blitzbok
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I agree with Richto

The latency issue with the Superhub 3 has been reported (https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/03/intel_puma_chipset_firmware_fix/) and Intel has been working on a firmware update (http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/03/virgin-media-prep-firmware-fix-superhub-3-latency-packe...). How long we are to wait for such a firmware update is unclear. Whilst high utilisation is part of the issue, downgrading to a Superhub 2ac will alleviate some of the latency issues that Richto is experiencing, but perhaps not all. I have switched from a Superhub 3 to a Superhub 2ac and there were significant improvements relating to latency. 

richto
Joining in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Anyone from Virgin - I still don't have an SH2 AC. That is the only thing that is going to fix my issues. How do I get one?

0 Kudos