Menu
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

SH2ac - Customer Services wants me to pay £20!!

For the past hour and a half I have been passed around various departments at Virginmedia, eventually reached someone that understood what I was requesting, but with a very abrupt tone of voice.

To the Moderators on here: I know calls to Virginmedia are logged against customers accounts, and can be checked for internal use only, unless I pay a fee of £11.00 for a complete transcript for my own use.

I was asking for a SH2ac for use with a XBOX ONE, which I understand is better at stopping "line-dropping" which we currently suffer from with the SH2. I also see that Virginmedia and Microsoft are aware of these issues. So, I asked at Customer Services explaining to them all the numerous departments I had been transferred to, with regards to swapping my SH2 for a SH2ac. The guy said we have to charge you a one-off payment of "£20.00" for postage! I even said I never paid for the SH2 delivery and that was self install, and now you want me to pay "£20.00" for postage!

I even stated to this guy do you ever read your company forums, where on numerous occasions they have been given FREE to customers. He said well I cannot give you a piece of equipment that serves it's purpose at our proposed speeds, regardless if it does not work with a third-party device. I know the firmware is different but this guy would not budge, and I do not see why I should be made to pay postage fees, for an item that does not fully work with all devices including Virginmedia and Microsoft are aware of the problem regarding the XBOX ONE compatibility issue.

The SH2ac is better than the SH2 regarding the firmware, to me a company should honour the change to customers that have been with them for years, I mean it as been over 15 yrs with Virginmedia and not only are we on the highest packages for broadband, TV and phone, then I have 3 mobile phones from them - and they quibble over £20!! So, basically I pay Virginmedia over £150 a month for everything, and they will not even change my modem!

Next year I am thinking of leaving them anyway, I have had so many arguments with them this year, when I know I was in the right, that I could of taken them to Trading Standards. But I didn't, even though they charged me twice for a months service on one mobile phone, they did actually refund me £5.00, but they still owed me nearly £20. It was obvious they were in the wrong, when they refunded a partial payment.

Is there any way of getting a SH2ac without going through all the hassle I have had today? Surely, some of these so-called Technical Engineers can understand what an XBOX ONE is - I was asked how was I connecting the XBOX ONE to my iPad, and even why I had put my modem in to Modem Mode Only and connected an Acer Router inline, was this done to make improvements? For a start the Cable modem was in Modem Only Mode and my router was an ASUS not a Acer, even though she was trying to tell me what I should do to connect the XBOX ONE to the Acer Router! Some times I wonder, and dread making calls to Virginmedia Technical Support, they treat everyone like they know nothing - and all they do is call up scripts on their computers!! I guess they are not trained in anyway.

Regards,

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: SH2ac - Customer Services wants me to pay £20!!

You got a ASUS router use it with the super hub in modem mode or pay £20 to get the least super hub but you will not be happy with it.
0 Kudos
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Do you mean the SH2ac is worse than the SH2?

or are you saying the SH2 in Modem Mode which I have now, connected to an ASUS RT-N56U is actually better?

I assumed by many other posts that the SH2ac is the better modem of them all that Virginmedia give us - I thought that if the firmware update in the SH2ac would be better for connecting to the XBOX ONE, well we have 2 of them and an XBOX 360. We have no NAT issues, which people are reporting as either STRICT or MODERATE, all are always OPEN, but we suffer many 'drop-outs'.

Regards,

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

echelom wrote:

the SH2 in Modem Mode which I have now, connected to an ASUS RT-N56U is actually better?

Yes and then your problem is down to the ASUS your connection to the Docsis network or you have something doing lots of downloading or uploading thats causing your problems for the most part unless there is a problem with the firmware which the SH2 are being reverted back.

echelom wrote:

I assumed by many other posts that the SH2ac is the better modem of them all that Virginmedia give us

No not really newer is not always better having a SH2 in modem mode for you to get a SH2ac in modem mode are for the most part the same if the firmware is good so your getting nothing more out of the SH2ac then you are out of the SH2.

0 Kudos
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Probably better to give you an idea of what we have on the network as regards to devices:

2 x XBOX ONES

1 x XBOX 360

1 x iPad 2 mini - this is used mostly by my daughter on 2.4Ghz wireless (YouTube, FaceTime, etc) Basically, video streaming in and out)

2 x iPad 2 mini on 5Ghz

3 x Desktop PC's only 1 of them is used for Gaming

1 x Laptop PC used rarely on 2.4Ghz

3 x Android Phones on 5Ghz

1 x Windows 10 Phone on 5Ghz

We have a top package for NetFlix, because this is used across numerous wireless devices unless its via TiVo.

I guess that is putting a heavy load on our network, our January to March statement stated we had downloaded nearly 1Tb in 3 months.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Having the top package does not get you out of trouble when there is a high load to give other VM users bandwidth if anything it makes things worse and it does not matter how good the QoS the ASUS has there is no perfect system in place for bandwidth you get one second to the next at high load to the point your QoS instead of being handled by your ASUS let alone the super hub rate limit if you don't set QoS in your ASUS below this limit and is then handled by VM gateway and we don't know the level of QoS being done and your ASUS can't detect this or can't detect this fast enough to readjust the bandwidth limit on the fly to re-handle the QoS by the ASUS.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

In modem mode the 2ac will not do anything better than the 2. It would be a waste of your money and/or VM's

Your ASUS router is doing all the work, and with all those devices it is working hard to distribute the available bandwidth between them.

0 Kudos
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I did not want to use a SH2ac in Modem Mode Only, I am only do this with the current SH2 only.

I was informed there was a firmware fix that was aimed at the XBOX ONE compatibility issue. I know there is routers that are now available that XBOX ONE compatibile, the ASUS one I have is not listed as compatible.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You just don't want to try modem mode with your ASUS. I'm sure if someone is not too busy killing on their XBOX ONE to tell you it works they will.
0 Kudos
echelom
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ah, I have altered a few things around a bit....

I did have the SH2 in Router Mode - feeding a Double-Network Adaptor feeding two XBOX ONE's, via Network Adaptors.

However, this caused one XBOX ONE to be OPEN and one to be STRICT or MODERATE. So, tried a dumb thing by adding the ASUS on one XBOX ONE, course this should be done on a Subnet_mask (which I cannot do with what I have!).

So, I went back to the same initial setup, I read on the ASUS website that the model was XBOX ONE compatible with numerous connected. I put the SH2 back in to Modem Mode Only and fed it to the ASUS Router, but upgraded the Router Firmware to the latest, and both XBOX ONE's are working with OPEN NAT's and so is the XBOX360 with an OPEN NAT on Wireless 2.4Ghz.

I hate cables everywhere, so thats why we use Network Adaptors around the property.

Well, at least everyone is happy now... I didn't have any problems because I'm not even into gaming!

0 Kudos