linkstatic71
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

SH2 XBOX1 Virgin media Disgrace

Long story  but ill be as short as possible

1. i have SH2 over last year ive had numerous wifi issues

2. xbox 1 now unable to stay connected to  sh2 wifi for any period of time

As of now the issue is still open and im still trying to get it sorted the following is my story of what you might go through yourself if you call with same issue regarding Xbox 1

I called today as i was really getting fed up with the whole issue, after reading many of the forum posts  on here regarding  the issue with xbox 1 not playing well with the SH2  and other stated wifi issues.

I spoke to Techs who stated in so many words that they know of issue with xbox 1 but couldn't change my equipment for a sh2ac this has to be via other depts so they passed the buck to another dept, Heres were i really started to lose my rag with them. They are quiet happy to send out not a SH2ac but a nice shiny SH3 great i thought but heres the kick in the privates, its an upgrade not a fault replacement so they want to charge me £9.99 for connection fee and tie me into another 12 month contract!! So i explained the situation again and guess what they wanted to pass me back to the techs!!!! (insert face palm picture here  here!!) So again i explained techs had passed me to them as they were unable to replace the sh2 heres where the  operator went off on a tangent and tried to explain how she could save me  money by me paying VM and extra £8 a month for my phone calls and tie me into a 12 month contract!!! Really i was  lost for words at the total deviation from my issue to something i did not call about (insert Double facepalm here!!) 

So at this point i asked to be put through to retention's hoping to talk to someone who could actually help!!! Boy was i wrong!!

After going through the story Again Retention's stated "they cannot guarantee wifi" (now she didnt say "wifi signal" she said "WIFI" I know I know other factors have issue on wifi but when the 2.5 and 5g lights go out on the sh2 i know its and equipment issue) and even without any engineer being out stated that my equipment was working perfectly but was unable to do any diagnostics  on my equipment like the techs do to prove this fact!! and again stated £9.99 for connection fee and new 12month contract

I tried to explain the economics of it wave the  £9.99 and send out a SH3 or send out engineer at cost to them of £40, they could not grasp this and said engineer would only replace like for like equipment and they would still charge me £9.99 if he was to say it needs changing to SH2ac or SH3 at this point i just had to hang up as i was getting too worked up(forget any more face palms i was bashing my head against the wall!!"

After i calmed down i put something to the testm, I called again and went through to the activation section and spoke to them i asked what i needed to do to activate new SH3 when it arrives the answer was to either call and the operators would do it or go online and use password on SH3 box and get it done automatically!! so virgin you are a disgrace asking me to sit at a pc type in a password and charge me £9.99 for the privilege of doing this!!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: SH2 XBOX1 Virgin media Disgrace

Your best option is to keep the SH2, put in modem mode and get a router off Microsofts approved list.  It will however cost you more than 9.99 and the retailer will not EVEN be typing a password on their PC

Or run it wired.

Xbone and wireless is a law onto itself. VM's job is to support your WAN side connection. What you do LAN side is your choice.

0 Kudos
linkstatic71
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Even forgetting about the xbox 1 issue i have stated there have been other wifi issues that point to equipment fault so back in VM court!! and to quote VM's own website

" However, with our ultrafast WiFi, you can be sure of a great connection whenever you want it."

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

And to quote every ISP in the land- WiFi cannot be guaranteed...

And to quote me- run it wired

I'm not talking off the top of my head. I had SH2 for a couple of years and it served me okay. Bit hit and miss with Wi-Fi, I found setting static IP's for devices stopped the dropouts.

We have an Xbone this end, its wired via powerline adapters. Wi-Fi was unreliable and that's common across SH2AC and HUB3

But now your moving the goal posts- its just generally not very good at Wi-Fi and you want a "better" one-  Thats fine, VM want your business guaranteed for 12 months and a 9.99 activation fee for providing a better one. Your choice. Late breaking news- stuff costs money.

0 Kudos
linkstatic71
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

why are you being so arrogant about this??

VM know there is an issue i want equipment that im renting from them to work!! which in this case does not!!   the activation fee is a rip off just for me to sit there and do it myself!! how is that causing a job for any VM employee?? if it was £9.99 for the equipment that is a whole other issue but its not . I told VM what i will be doing and they gave me equipment that is not fit for my purpose and now expect me to pay more for getting the equipment i should have got in the first place!!

tried power line, the upstairs  are on a different ring main to the downstairs and that dosent work!! yes ive tried it so can we put the "use wired" down and bury it please!!

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

linkstatic71 wrote:

I told VM what i will be doing and they gave me equipment that is not fit for my purpose and now expect me to pay more for getting the equipment i should have got in the first place!!

Err.. none of their equipment for router mode can help you so don't go paying them more just use modem mode and get your own router setup.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Im not being arrogant about it.

Like I said Ive used all the hubs. None of them have fantastic wireless so its pointless "upgrading" to HUB3- which BTW has known issues with Xbone anyway. The activation fee is what it is. There are back end updates, inventory management, provisioning the new HUB on your account just off the top of my head. Like I said stuff costs money. If you cannot get power lines to work- you have the wrong sort of power lines. As long as they share a common earth, some will work.

So in the end, if YOU insist on gaming wirelessly on your Xbone, you will likely need to get an Xbox approved router and put your HUB in modem mode. If you don't want truly horrible latency that is. Which doesn't work properly on HUB3 as yet, so again no point in upgrading.

Its called experience, not arrogance.

linkstatic71
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The information was put here to seek experience in this issue, the arrogance is the way you put across that experience!
0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

**bleep** Why don't people search and read posts in the forum.

The SH is useless for Gaming. Go modem mode, get your own router and GAME.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos