Menu
Daniel9
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Rubbish speeds and horrible rooting to some US/Canada based servers

I have been getting rubbish performance for months now. The only time the download and upload seems to be normal is late at night or early morning. Another issue I'm having is the horrible rooting to some servers in the US and Canada. You may think the connection is normal I certainly do not. I see people from the UK with much lower latency/ping to me on the server and it never spikes the way mine does. One minute I could have 140 ping (I see others with 90-100) the next its spiking to 180 or even worse.

I was recording long sessions of play yesterday during the peak hours and my ping was spiking to 300's. At first I thought it was fps dips or the server lagging and then I realised it was Virgin Media itself. This is getting really frustrating and if BT pulled their finger out and offered greater speeds and promised a stable line I would be off.

Virgin Media is definitely not a place for gamers. I can't even live stream onTwitch during the day because of the low upload capacity and the traffic management is complete tosh. Why? Well, the connection is never consistent and during peak times my connection goes to crap irregardless of download/upload. At one point I blamed it on me downloading games through Steam etc. Now, I blame Virgin themselves. As I'm getting 1-10MB even if I have not used the internet all day. Why are my speeds being capped when I have not even used the line?

Lets see what response I get, let me guess the usual "We are facing high bla bla bla in the area and a technician will be on the scene in November 2016" .......... It needs fixing and needs to be prioritising gaming as my rooting is complete crap.

I'm meant to be on the 152MB package if memory serves me right. So what am I doing with such low speeds? Sometimes the connection is that slow that I cannot even load webpages and when I do a broadband speed test the speeds are as low as 1MB. Please bring consistency to the line. All I want to do is play my games with a good rooting consistent ping.... Is it that much to ask? The fluctuation and horrible speeds make it nigh impossible to play properly.

Downstream.pngUpstream.pngSlow performance 2.pngSlow performance 4.pngslow performance.png

0 Kudos
Daniel9
Tuning in
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Rubbish speeds and horrible rooting to some US/Canada based servers

Almost 00:00 and still horrible connections to servers. Download speed is rising again no doubt but the latencies are pure crap. Servers are not responding, latencies are well in the 200's when they should be 100 ish. What is it I'm paying for exactly? I have only just signed up to Think Broadband and these are the stats so far for the past 2 hours. Tried playing my games and even the European based server latencies are high.

Someone somewhere really needs to fix the rooting and consistency with this broadband company and stop spouting lies. 

thinkbroadband.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I think you are getting a bit confused.

If your speeds are dropping and latency increasing during peak hours, sounds like an overutilisation issue. Wait for staff to pick up your thread and confirm/deny it.. If overutilisation is in play you will be issued a fault number and can claim credit on your account. Any date for review given is exactly that- a review NOT a fix. prepare for a bit of a wait.

As for the rooting routing, I dont get what you are on about. Whats wrong with it?

How you are connecting (wired/wireless)

You also need to set your super hub to respond to ICMP ping, thats why your graph is all red.

</edit for redundancy>

0 Kudos
Daniel9
Tuning in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Getting confused with what exactly? These problems with high latency and slow speeds have been going on for months. Even away from peak times the latencies are higher than most other friends or people I connect with who reside in the UK. If I'm getting 140-150 ping for example and somebody else in the UK is getting 90-100 how is that right? I see this sort of thing happening often. Did you see the tracert to one US server? 200 and odd latency over 30 hops? Is that right? No, it isnt. The routing is a bloody joke. If friends can connect to these servers with a much lower ping why is mine so much higher? The higher latencies are happening out of peak times too.

I am on wired. I have updated the Super Hub settings now to include ICMP. All I want is a consistent speed and latencies in line with other players based in the same or surrounding countries. It isnt right. One server in particular moved it's servers further east of the US and everyone else seems to be seeing improved pings from Europe, what has happened to mine? Its increased. Please tell me thats right.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Taking your traceroute as an example

cogent.png

The vast majority of your latency is in Cogents network. Nowt VM can do about that.

We need to see your BQM after 24 hrs or staff to pick it up and see if there's any issue in your area- but its not routing.

As a side note your downstream is high which may also be causing issues...

0 Kudos
Daniel9
Tuning in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Last 24 hours is here. I have not been on the PC a great deal today, might be better for me to check the next 24 hours too. I did however check the Broadband Speed Test tool today at 20:00 and had 17MB download and 12MB upload which again isnt all that impressive. I very rarely hit the download/upload limit usage in peak times to trigger traffic management so for the speeds to be this low something must be wrong.

Is there not a single way I can improve connections to servers? I still do not understand how my ping can be way higher than other UK residents on a daily basis when playing on the same servers :/. It makes no sense to me.

Do I need to be posting anything else?

Thinkbroadband.png

0 Kudos
JordanTheToaste
Joining in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

There is nothing you can do or virgin for that matter as was said earlier, some US servers i get 105 ping some US servers i get 180 i just deal with to be honest

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Daniel9 wrote:

Getting confused with what exactly? These problems with high latency and slow speeds have been going on for months. Even away from peak times the latencies are higher than most other friends or people I connect with who reside in the UK. If I'm getting 140-150 ping for example and somebody else in the UK is getting 90-100 how is that right? I see this sort of thing happening often. Did you see the tracert to one US server? 200 and odd latency over 30 hops? Is that right? No, it isnt. The routing is a bloody joke. If friends can connect to these servers with a much lower ping why is mine so much higher? The higher latencies are happening out of peak times too.

Who controls the routing on the internet? Not Virgin.

There's an easy way to settle this: don't run the trace routes on Virgin's network at all.

Run it on Cogentco's network between two of their servers using: http://www.cogentco.com/lookingglass.php

Cogentco London server to Los Angeles server:

Screenshot from 2016-05-15 02_51_22.png

Clearly the 139ms outside peak time is only inside the Cogentco network. Virgin aren't involved at all here and can't be blamed for the 139ms round-trip.

70ms-90ms is usual for London to New York and back again, then the rest of the latency to the West Coast.

The times will likely be worse during peak time, as that's when all networks are busy. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Daniel9 wrote:

Is there not a single way I can improve connections to servers?

If you want to choose a different routing path then you need to get yourself a Gaming VPN.

Daniel9
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

None of the above actually explains how other UK users and friends are reporting much lower pings to some US servers than I do... and why I keep getting ping spikes whenever I play multiplayer games and why a 152MB download drops to 5-15MB regularly, sometimes as low as 1MB. You go ahead and try to play video games with a fluctuating ping, 5-15MB download speed (Possible other users on the net in the household) and ping spikes and tell me how you feel? Pure frustration I will tell you that. 152 Vivid I'm on not upto 20MB. What makes it worse is everybody here claim everything is fine.

0 Kudos