Menu
Dammit
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Ridiculous levels of Lag spikes/Jitter

I complained about this a while ago, people played around, had the usual rounds of technicians. Nothing got better, and I pretty much gave up trying to play any online games where connection quality is vital.

But its got so bad, that even slow non-twitch based games are struggling, anything that requires connection is having issues - so all the fun of rubberbanding, server disconnects, timeouts. Its even on occasion got so bad that Skype is struggling to cope.

So here are some stats from simple ping tests from the cmd prompt to show the latency (and hence jitter)

Pinging google.com [62.252.173.178] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 62.252.173.178: bytes=32 time=177ms TTL=60
Reply from 62.252.173.178: bytes=32 time=666ms TTL=60
Reply from 62.252.173.178: bytes=32 time=56ms TTL=60
Reply from 62.252.173.178: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=60
Reply from 62.252.173.178: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=60
Reply from 62.252.173.178: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=60
Reply from 62.252.173.178: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=60
Reply from 62.252.173.178: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=60
Reply from 62.252.173.178: bytes=32 time=110ms TTL=60
Reply from 62.252.173.178: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=60
Reply from 62.252.173.178: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=60
Reply from 62.252.173.178: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=60
Reply from 62.252.173.178: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=60
Reply from 62.252.173.178: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=60
Reply from 62.252.173.178: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=60
Reply from 62.252.173.178: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=60
Reply from 62.252.173.178: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=60
Reply from 62.252.173.178: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=60
Reply from 62.252.173.178: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=60
Reply from 62.252.173.178: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 62.252.173.178:
Packets: Sent = 25, Received = 25, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 8ms, Maximum = 666ms, Average = 52ms

What lovely high numbers, but wait, maybe you'd rather I explain the issue through pretty graphs?

This is nothing odd for our superfast VM line, its been like this for months (I think October was the last time I attempted to have a rational conversation about the awful quality of the connection). Now I cannot say its not fast, it really is excellent for video streaming and browsing (so long as there is plenty of buffering), but sweet Richard Branson don't try to play online games. 

Due to the number of engineers I have seen pretty sure the router, cables, house box, street cabinet are all in good order. I am running directly wired to the modem/router (no wireless for gaming thank you), I get the same problems in modem only mode. And same issues from differing computers. Sorry the tech support flashbacks come and go, so I may have missed something from the litany of follow up questions I usually get.

From the number of posts here, those on other forums and the internet in general commenting about the problem generally I can't help think I am not alone. So now I shall wait with baited breath for a reply, though please note I don't fancy playing the game of Technician's appointments when it pretty clearly a network based issue. But c'est la vie as I expect the usual run around to stay where I am (sorry I may be a little jaded).

The temptation get a separate non-fibre ASDL line just for giggles so I can run side by side comparisons is quite high now. 

Aside from being miffed, I hope whoever picks this one up is having a nice day. I promise to be nice. 

Dammit

legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ridiculous levels of Lag spikes/Jitter

Do ping -t 86.5.136.1 will be better.

The super hub has no QoS or flows for scheduling packets so any brief high bandwidth connections made by download or upload will cause packet delay of all packets.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Your previous posts attracted a suggestion of you being affected by overutilisation. Was that resolved? Cos it looks awfully like it wasn't from your description of the symptoms and your latency graph IMO.

Dammit
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

No everything was apparently working, and not obvious issues were found.

<edit> Over utilisation was mentioned several times, seemed to be a fall back answer by some staff, but they never admitted to it directly, and never gave a timescale for any work to resolve that. <edit>

It went off the forum very quickly, as I may have ran out of patience, phoned,  and due to the call centre I ended up with I became a bit of a sod (which I am both regretful of, and slightly ashamed as I should know better) but was eventually bounced to someone who was very helpful, and pushed it up internally for several weeks, but was not able to pin down the problems. It did trigger lots of checks (with some very helpful technicians) and everyone started pointing to the 'networking issues'. Nothing was changed (other than the router as usual), and I basically got tired of arguing, as I could not (to the tests VM used) demonstrate the impacts I was seeing, or explain it adequately and stopped playing online games pretty much.

After some more recent reading up due to exasperation (and boredom) it seems likely I was misinterpreting some of the software I was using, which seemed to show a lot of packet loss, but the software may have been averaging including hops that would not respond to ping, and creating an appearance of packet loss. Whereas I think the wide variation in ping responses was the more notable thing and this was better presented in some of extended external monitoring I started using.

The issues are the same as before (in fact may even still be the same problem), the connection works, just not for gaming. This all appears to be indicative of 'Jitter' as the problem; as the connection is present, but the wide variation in response times causes in game lag spike and other gaming effects detrimental to sanity and stats. Its may also be the cause of minor but reoccurring issues with VOIP, VPN etc that need a good connection, but don't necessarily eat up a lot of bandwidth.

0 Kudos
Dammit
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

More throwing stuff out that demonstrates the issue quickly. There will be better options to demonstrate and test it, but I am tired, annoyed, and paying for a service that only can be used for non-gaming applications, so I did it quick and dirty, and I will try and do it properly (in so much as I can) when the VM people get involved. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Dammit wrote:

No everything was apparently working, and not obvious issues were found.

<edit> Over utilisation was mentioned several times, seemed to be a fall back answer by some staff, but they never admitted to it directly, and never gave a timescale for any work to resolve that. <edit>

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Set-up/Constant-Packet-Loss-unable-to-online-game/m-p/2512085 Smiley Wink

You were issued a fault reference, you could have been claiming a discount all this time, if its still ongoing.

Might be a separate issue, if you want to do the levels thing, we can check those,

Go to your Superhub Log in screen

Do NOT log in.

Little button top right.....

Can you post Upstream, Downstream and Network logs.

Screen caps are nice, C&P will do- Don't stress about formatting if you C&P. Someone will get a look and see if there's anything obvious amiss.

A BQM would be a good idea too...

HERE

Run it for say 24 hrs, and post the result.

With your issues being intermittent, we need to get something the forum team can work on. I know it can be a painful process, but stick with it. If its NOT utilisation we will soon have you sorted. Grandmother and suck eggs and that I know, but stick on here and don't go near 150 unless advised. Put simply, yours is not a "reboot your modem" problem so first line will just make you incadescent with rage...

Dammit
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Ta, I will set the background monitor going again, and post as it reaches maturity. Here is the basic stuff requested, network log looks more exciting than usual (may not be). 

Its likely a similar issue, don't think they ever offered me money off due to fault (as it is working, just not for everything) but kept trying to upsell, even after i got admissions it would not actually fix things, but it would have locked me into another contract period.

0 Kudos
Dammit
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Um, I may have forgotten I was monitoring this. Scary graphs (they are all like this for the last few days)

<edit> please note we are not online from around 11pm to 8am; kids (and so netflix) impact between 4 and 8pm; and then us adults get to use it for saner uses (internet and similar) from 8pm to 11pm <edit> 

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Did you really try modem only mode? how about a PC to the modem mode port and allow inbound ICMP from 80.249.99.164 with a new BQM graph.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dammit

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear of the slow speeds you are experiencing.

I've run a check on your connection and there is a ticket open for peak time slow speeds under reference F003644214.  The estimated review date is scheduled for 12/08/2015

The latest update shows that we are awaiting additional downstream channels. We haven't been given a date as to when this will happen so if you are able to bump the thread in a week or so we can check for any further updates.

You can also contact our customer services team on 150 from any Virgin Media landline or 0345 454 1111 to arrange a loss of service credit quoting this reference. 

Hope you had a good weekend

Ty

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos