Menu
KennyY
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Recommended Ethernet Cable

Hi everyone,

Can anyone recommend the best type of Ethernet cable to go between my router and ps4. At the moment I have an RJ45 cable. The router is only a metre away from the ps4. The download speed is showing as only 26mb and updates, demos etc are slow to download. I have a connection speed of 200mb which I understand will be upgraded in December to 300mb. Is my cable likely to be the problem.

thanks

Kenny

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recommended Ethernet Cable

Playstations always show a low speedtest, 

shanematthews
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

KennyY wrote:

Hi everyone,

Can anyone recommend the best type of Ethernet cable to go between my router and ps4. At the moment I have an RJ45 cable. The router is only a metre away from the ps4. The download speed is showing as only 26mb and updates, demos etc are slow to download. I have a connection speed of 200mb which I understand will be upgraded in December to 300mb. Is my cable likely to be the problem.

thanks

Kenny

Aslong as its a cat5e or above cable it will have no issues syncing at up to gigabit speeds, just check the light on the port your PS4 connects to on the superhub and check that the light is green and not orange and you're fine, its also worth asking, how are you testing those speeds, bear in mind your 200mb connection is mbit not mbyte and that a lot of things will show you your speed in mbyte and that a 200mbit connection will show as about 25mbyte

0 Kudos
KennyY
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I bought some cat 6 cables and the download speed has jumped up to 60mbs. Not ideal but best I can get.

0 Kudos