Menu
TSx92
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Recent throttling only while gaming?

Hi, first time poster here. I've recently been having issues while trying to game with Virgin Media 50mb fibre broadband, specifically on my PS3 and PS4. My connection is fully optimised for gaming - UPnP for Open NAT, wired via Ethernet, with a static IP address for my consoles, and I used to pull low pings with no jitter or packet loss. Whenever I wanted to check my connection I'd simply connect my phone to the router wirelessly and, even at only 50-70% signal (testing from upstairs, my router is downstairs on the other side of the house), I'd get 10-20ms pings to most servers across Europe.

However I only got a PS3 this week, and unlike on the PS4's internet browser, I'm able to use pingtest.net on the console. I'd noticed I have been lagging on any game I play, even at peak times in heavily populated game modes, so I decided to make use of this site. While I'm able to pull very low pings testing my connection from my phone, I see far higher latency (as much as 70ms) and a large amount of jitter (as much as 20ms) connecting to servers even as close as 100 miles away when I take a test directly from my console's browser (not the console's connection test, two totally different things).

Normally playing Black Ops 2 isn't a great indicator of how good my connection is doing because the game itself is fairly laggy, but when I used to play on Xbox 360 it was never this bad before. Ghosts on PS4 also used to be very enjoyable connections wise, but even that is hard to play now because of the lag I'm experiencing (despite the number of players actually increasing lately!).

Gaming is literally rage-inducing right now, and I wanted to know what was going on (or if there is anything I can do about it), because the service I'm getting from Virgin right now is nowhere near as solid as it was a month ago, and three to six months ago it was fantastic. The only thing I can think of is that I'm being throttled somehow (not just in terms of speed, because that's a very small factor when it comes to gaming), and this is causing my pings to skyrocket any time I try to play. Oh and just in case anyone wants to know, there are no other devices hogging bandwidth etc. when I'm trying to game, because I'm the only one using the connection. In short I've made no changes to my setup at all, or how I play, yet my experience isn't enjoyable like it was months ago.

I hope someone can shed some light on what's going on... thanks!
0 Kudos
Allan25
Joining in
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recent throttling only while gaming?

Your right, about 3 weeks ago I didnt have any issue on Final Fantasy XIV.  Looking at the posts I could say others around same time.  This is a ISP issue, no doubt.  ALot of MMOs use P2P tech, Virgin need to let it through.

Thank you
0 Kudos
sbowesuk
Dialled in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

As a WoW player, who is one of many having issues, I concur. VM changed something at their end, that's screwing over gamers.

I have lost a lot of respect for this service as a gamer, and will probably end up switching to an ISP that's gamer friendly. It's VM's loss at the end of the day.

0 Kudos
TSx92
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I've been looking over threads with similar complaints, and the suggestion to go into modem only mode on the Superhub pops up a lot.

Would this help me at all, or is that only for people who usually have issues with congestion (several devices connected at once, which I don't have a problem with)? Or does modem mode simply reduce latency somehow?
0 Kudos
Allan25
Joining in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yup, already making plans to change.  Ill be giving them my notice in as soon as I get a date form BT infinity.

Thank you
0 Kudos
sbowesuk
Dialled in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

As I understand it, all modem mode does is turn off wireless, and make one ethernet port available at the hub. Basically, it just forces you to use a wired connection.

Considering the nature of the problem seems to be with VM's network management at their end, and not hub wireless connectivity, I highly doubt modem mode would change anything.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. VM needs to quit giving us all these pointless hoops to jump through, and simply turn their attention to the problem they created at their end.
TSx92
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I just tried modem mode on PS4 Ghosts, a game with great connections. Discrepancies for days, made no difference... this is complete and utter cancer. Unplayable. I get better stability on my phone's 4G WiFi hotspot.
TSx92
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Just disabled modem mode (because after testing my PS4 on it, my PS3 couldn't connect), turned on my PS3, setup my wired connection and went into the web browser to test my connection on pingtest.net again.

First test was to LA, California just for lols since I cracked up laughing when I got into an Advanced Warfare game with someone in San Diego last week. 177ms latency, 10ms jitter... not bad really.

Next test was to Frankfurt in Germany, a good choice because I run into many German players online. 175ms ping. To Germany...

The next one was really bad. I tested my connection to Coventry, pretty much dead on 100 miles away from me.

180ms ping. 10ms jitter.

**bleep** am I paying £26 a month for, 3G-grade connections? Disgusting. I hope someone from Virgin sees this and rectifies the problem immediately because I would honestly rather throw my consoles and TV (actually it's a low latency monitor, why did I bother...?) out of the window than deal with the discrepancies I face daily.

Hopefully I won't need to but I'll be bumping this daily until it improves Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
TSx92
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

P.S: I only said W-T-F above, nothing too explicit. I don't think I'm that angry... yet Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
TSx92
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Bump
0 Kudos