Menu
Lee2
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Really bad latency in FPS games

Hi, I'm experiencing high latency in online gaming in competitive FPS games like call of duty and battlefield 1. I used to think the latency issues were caused when I used a wireless connection but I've been using a powerline adapter connection as my PS4 is in a different location to my router and the connection has not improved my latency issue. I'm using the super hub 3 and have tested my connection, all fine, tried port forwarding ports for the relevant games, tried DMZ, tried changing the firewall settings, nothing improved, just really bad latency like my connection speed isn't stable.
In battlefield 1 my pink shows at between 33-38 ping and is usually the best in the lobby but It feels like my connection has alot of latency in it where I'm playing at a delay to other players, same as in call of duty. I've tried logging into to the super hub 3 and did a diagnostic test on my connection and everything came back positive apart from this was showing as a error "my PS4(wired connection) is running at 100mbs. I know this means it's on 100mbs connection hence the orange light on the switch port but why is it showing as a error on the diagnostic test?
I'm paying for 75mbs speed btw. Thanks
I just want smooth gameplay in cod and battlefield and be playing at a delay to other games which gets more and more worse the more I'm playing
0 Kudos
RidingTheFlow
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Really bad latency in FPS games

Sorry to bring bad news, but unlikely you can do anything about it. Since your connection is fine this sounds like inherent Hub 3 issue (latency spikes) and VM is not going to fix it for you.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming-Support/Hub-3-Compal-CH7465-LG-TG2492LG-and-CGNV4-Latency...

Lee2
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Virgin just sucks for online gaming, already figured that out, known for a while now
0 Kudos
trekrich
Joining in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Glad i came to this forum, i was about to sign up as well!

0 Kudos
ScottingB
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I wouldn't sign up at all until issue is fixed I have told a few of my friends who live near me that have had the chance to get VM to not even bother the download speeds and that are nice but the actual gaming side is a joke. I have had the problem for over 3 months now and nothing has been done to try and help me, I ring up to ask them to help me it's just a foreign person telling me they've reset my line and it should be fine which they have done 4 times now and hasn't fixed anything... 

They even had the cheek to charge us £120 for the first month of it.

Lee2
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I've had this latency issue for 2 years now, they keep telling me my connection is fine and I agree but trying to play competitive FPS games is unbearable when you have latency issue like I have. I wanna switch ISP but my girlfriend doesnt want to and she pays the internet so I'm stuck lol
Btw I wouldn't recommend signing up to sign up to virgin if your only using internet for gaming their trash for that but downloading is very fast
0 Kudos
ScottingB
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Yeah if you're a gamer and thinking about using VM you couldn't worse off by doing so, Better off going with your mobile network and try gaming on that compared to VM. 

Wilks
Joining in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I've been having issues with my TV and Superhub 2 regarding dissconections. I'm waiting for the Superhub 3 firmware update but my patience is running out before ordering and I'm hovering over the BT site ready to sign up. 

RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Gaming on VM is ok, unless you have a SH3.

The SH2 and SH2AC work fantastic for gaming, in Modem Mode.

The SH3 problem is due to the intel Puma chipset, its not only VM that has this problem.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 200Mb VM service with SH2 AC in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-N66U router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
trekrich
Joining in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

well i bet you cannot request one of them anymore?

0 Kudos