Menu
bafist
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Random spikes during gaming

Hello,

I'm experiencing random lag spikes while gaming. Checked a few online games, happens on all of them.

What's going on is: every few minutes, maybe 5, the ping in game will jump to 200-500, and after a few seconds will go back to 30-40. A few times it went to around 1500.

It's been going on for a few weeks now. Game support said I should contact my ISP. People I know playing on the same servers don't have such problems. I tried 2 different laptops to be sure it's not my hardware. I'm connecting via a SuperHub.

Could someone please advise what can I do to get this resolved?

Cheers,

Ivan

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Random spikes during gaming

Which HUB are you using? How are you connecting to it?

Next..So we can help us to help you, can you

Go to your Superhub Log in screen

Do NOT log in.

Little button top right.....

Can you post Upstream, Downstream and Network logs.

Screen caps are nice, C&P will do- Don't stress about formatting if you C&P. Someone will get a look and see if there's anything obvious amiss.

Then pop us a couple of traceroutes to servers you are having issues with.

0 Kudos
bafist
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

thanks for the quick response. Attaching the requested information. The hub is a "Super Hub VMDG480". I'm connecting to it via a network cable.

downstream.PNGnetwork.PNGupstream.PNG

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
bafist
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I did reboot the router mode, didn't change anything. I can't use the modem mode I'm afraid, I'm using wireless.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Disable the wireless in the super hub have one wired device connect thats not downloading or uploading and try gaming. Gaming over wireless is bad from gaming you can get your own wireless router and new adapter to improve that as it can just as easily be your wireless adapter thats not good or the super hub wireless so change both.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Legacys advice is sound. If you cant do a wired connection, look at getting powerline adapters.I have 3 avid gamers in my house and that's what we use.

2 of you on wireless on that Superhub? you are NOT going to get a decent ping much of the time.

The other issue you have is Super hub has no QOS, packets just arrive at the HUB and get dealt with. QOS settngs allow you to prioritise say gaming traffic over normal HTTP so if someone else is online your performance is not affected.

Id still like to see a traceroute to a couple of the servers you use if possible, could let us point you in the right direction to get SOME improvement. Can you post those?

0 Kudos
bafist
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi. To clarify: there's 2 of us using the super hub. We're both gaming via cables, and we use wireless for a 3rd machine + phones. Following legacy1's advice I turned off wifi, and that somehow solved everything - ping in games went back to stable 40ms. Strange thing is, we've been doing this for over a year - 2 pcs on cables for gaming + 3 devices on wireless, and it was working just fine, until a few weeks ago. No idea what changed :/

I'll get the tracert results and post them here tomorrow.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Your phones or that other machine can be downloading or uploading for what even reason causing you to buffer your connection your wireless may even of been brute forced and someone else is on your wireless.

0 Kudos