Menu
jordanc93
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Random ping spikes / outtages

Hello,

Now this has been a problem i've been having for a few months, now I have manually logged the ping spikes and outtages over the past few months, but only recently had I been contacting Virginmedia Customer Support about the issue, as previously I felt I had wasted my breath with back-and-forth arguments as all they can give me is "Your connection looks fine on our end, nothing has gone down and there has been no ping spikes", which is fair enough but obviously I am getting those issues.

The ping spikes are random and can last up to a couple of minutes, then go away and can come back. I was told the fix would be to get a SH2, which I got sometime last year due to the issues. It did kind of fix them for a bit but it seems the problem has persisted.

Now I have setup my BQM again, could someone kindly explain the graph for me please? I will compile tracert reports when I get ping issues again.

I am on a 100mb connection (doesn't seem to stay 100mb whenever I speedtest, this is on a wired connection aswell), I have 2 other siblings who game on a wired connection, both PS4 and PC and they still notice the issues aswell.

Below is the latest snapshot of the BQM graph, note there is a big red section at approximately 11:00, this was due to a power outtage as we had to turn the electricity off for the electricity man to install something.

5ced871d180c3cee7f1f347e78f6e059-24-03-2016

I have got the point now where all I seem to be doing is moaning, it's frustrating as a paying customer that I cannot use the service I have paid for, I wouldn't mind if this was only a short issue but it's been going on for several months. They won't send an engineer out as there is nothing wrong on their end, and I've been told they can e-mail the network team but that's all they can do, which isn't good enough for me. I want to get to the bottom of this asap.

Thanks in advance guys, and I appreciate any help!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Random ping spikes / outtages

Hi Jordanc93,

Sorry to hear you're getting lag spikes. I can see these on your graph but I don't see anything at all on our end to cause them. The trouble with ping spikes on the graph is that they could be caused by a poor hop on the way to the server or even by usage from your home. As you mention your siblings play online too so they may be taking up bandwidth and causing the pings to spike so what I'd like to do is sort of a control test.

Could you try the hub in modem mode with a PC in safe mode? This will eliminate other devices on the network, background software on the PC connected, wireless and the hubs router functions. Modem mode will also change your IP address so you'll have to set up a new graph with the new IP.

Let us know how you get on and we'll take things from there. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
jordanc93
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I will sort the modem mode sometime through the week, can't currently do due to gaming commitments.

I have however just got lagg again, I have now done a tracert report as requested by a VM customer service person, as you can see the ping went to 100+, any thoughts?

tracert bbc website 25-03-16.png

0 Kudos
jordanc93
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Below is more tracert reports

26/03/1626/03/1627/03/16 04:49am27/03/16 04:49am29/03/16 @ 01:46am (lagg spikes occured twice in the space of 5minutes.)29/03/16 @ 01:46am (lagg spikes occured twice in the space of 5minutes.)

Latest BQM Readings (29/03/16)

efd285e44312b0b4f27ccf976c169394-29-03-2016

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jordanc93,

The traces look fine until the last one you posted. Many servers are either set not to respond to pings or are  busy and treat pings requests as a low priority. 

In the traces that show 100ms on the 2nd and 3rd hop we can see that the following hops are perfectly low which points to those hops being busy but actually causing the trace to complete any slower. 

Let us know how you get on in modem mode and we'll take things from there. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos