Menu
Joining in
Message 11 of 20 (275 Views)

Re: Random packet loss and lag spikes

My desktop's Ethernet is already hooked up to one of the two middle ports. Thanks for the suggestion though.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 12 of 20 (265 Views)

Just experienced another major packet loss event. Was streaming and playing at the same time, then all of a sudden everything stops, the game starts to lag like hell and discord communication drops completely. I wait a few minutes and still nothing, until I shut off streaming upload and complete close down all programs on my PC and then everything is fine again. It's almost as if my router is overwhelmed by the amount of data and just shuts off until it's back to a small load of upload and download data again. There also seems to be a slight increase in latency as almost all websites I go onto are taking longer than usual to load. I'd really like some sort of solution to this problem, unless there's no easy fix and the best thing is to contact technical support.

Graph of the packet loss event (90%+ packet loss shown at the far right) 

graph3.png

0 Kudos
Hero
Message 13 of 20 (259 Views)

So really you need someone round to investigate the noise likely for the upstream if you wait the forum team can check.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 14 of 20 (516 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Bmccurdy1
‎07-05-2017 06:29

[ Edited ]

Bmccurdy1 wrote:

I'd really like some sort of solution to this problem, unless there's no easy fix and the best thing is to contact technical support.

There's noise on the line somewhere between your modem and the modem at VM's end. You'll need a tech visit and then if he doesn't find anything maybe a network tech to trace the fault if it's further up the line.

SNR (noise) faults are intermittent in nature and common this time of year. They're the most common type of fault.

Nothing to do with what you have plugged into the hub or how you use your devices (e.g. computer) as your BQM graph ends at the router part of the hub, before the data gets to the devices.

And yes noise fault's are annoying causing random slow speeds, packet loss and problems with browsing, streaming, gaming etc. I don't think anyone's invented a communication system yet that is not susceptible to noise.

Forum Team
Message 15 of 20 (207 Views)

Hello Bmccurdy1

Sorry we took a while getting here. Your actual connection is looking good. The area upstreams have had a few problems with intermittent noise and low level unfixable packet errors and it is most likely down to that. We tend to escalate when a threshold is reached over the last 24 hour rolling period and at the moment it is not being exceeded. Your last graph was a week old, please would you bring us up to date.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 16 of 20 (176 Views)

So I thought that the connection had improved as I noticed that the packetloss had stopped being as frequent. However over the last day or so I've noticed some significant rubber band lag in-game. I decided to check my speeds and from a speedtest on both ThinkBroadband and Speedtest.net shows that my download speed is a third of what it should be, 45Mbps instead of 152Mbps. My upload also shows as being 3Mbps instead of 12Mbps that I should be getting. I checked my Broadband Quality Monitor graph on ThinkBroadband and noticed that it was just block red showing 100% packet loss so I'm unable to post any helpful graph unfortunately. I'm starting to get pretty frustrated with the unreliable internet connection, especially now with the lower speeds and overall latency increase.

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 17 of 20 (163 Views)

The graph may of stopped working as your IP address has changed, if thats the case create a new graph with the new IP
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 18 of 20 (150 Views)

I did create a new graph with the new IP and still the same, but I discovered that it was due to the hard router reset I did a few days back, which disabled "Respond to ICMP echo requests" which needed to be enabled for the graph to work correctly. It seems that today my internet speeds have improved back to the expected speeds, however I am receiving intermittent latency spikes jumping from 20ms to 200-400ms. It also feels like my internet browser is significantly slower at loading webpages than usual.

My Broadband Ping - Graph 2
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 19 of 20 (122 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi there Bmccurdy1,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I've taken a look at your connection, the upstream power levels are too high, and on 4 downstream channels the Modem SNR is too low. I would like to book an engineer to check this over for you and have sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 20 of 20 (94 Views)

So the engineer has been and his conclusion was that it was probably due my modem being an older Super Hub 2, so it has now been replaced with the newer Hub 3. A lot of the ping issues I was having before are now better, but still quite apparent every now and then which is not what I want at all. I also found it strange that you mentioned certain power levels being too high or low, yet the engineer showed me the stats and made it clear that everything was within the correct levels.

Here is the new BQM graph with the super hub 3:

c6b83e11d9776924ac26018eb1e994d52567d968-05-06-2017

0 Kudos