Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 19 (375 Views)

Random packet loss and lag spikes

A few months back I started noticing random occurrences of some sort of connection drop when playing games, but it only seemed to affect uploading since I was able to hear people over discord yet they couldn't hear me, whilst at the same time in game everyone would freeze and I could run around but not interact with anyone. This would last around 20 seconds or so at a time before returning to normal and everything was fine again. I'm hoping to start streaming on twitch but feel that if I don't find a solution it will cause my stream to cut out instead of keeping a steady upload which I don't want at all.

I started a broadband quality monitor and got these results, everything is fine most of the time but every so often it seems that when my connection is under stress is cuts out as shown with the packet loss.

Note that I use a wired Ethernet connection.

I'd love to find the solution to this and any helpful response would be highly appreciative.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Superuser
Message 14 of 19 (295 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Bmccurdy1
3 weeks ago

Re: Random packet loss and lag spikes

[ Edited ]

Bmccurdy1 wrote:

I'd really like some sort of solution to this problem, unless there's no easy fix and the best thing is to contact technical support.

There's noise on the line somewhere between your modem and the modem at VM's end. You'll need a tech visit and then if he doesn't find anything maybe a network tech to trace the fault if it's further up the line.

SNR (noise) faults are intermittent in nature and common this time of year. They're the most common type of fault.

Nothing to do with what you have plugged into the hub or how you use your devices (e.g. computer) as your BQM graph ends at the router part of the hub, before the data gets to the devices.

And yes noise fault's are annoying causing random slow speeds, packet loss and problems with browsing, streaming, gaming etc. I don't think anyone's invented a communication system yet that is not susceptible to noise.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Joining in
Message 2 of 19 (322 Views)

Does nobody have any sort of answer for this? I'd really love to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. Anything at all that you think may help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
Hero
Message 3 of 19 (311 Views)

[ Edited ]

Looks very intermittent do you have a Broadband only or TV and Broadband with a spitter? Check the nuts are tight.

When you get packet loss again post your upstream
http://192.168.100.1/RouterStatus.html

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 19 (282 Views)

I have TV and Broadband, not sure what you mean by spitter.

Here is the upstream from the router.

upstream.pngI've also just had a look at my BQM and at 5:30 am this morning there was 100% packet loss for what looks to be at around 10-20 minutes?

100percent.png

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 5 of 19 (275 Views)

[ Edited ]

The splitter is usually located near the point where the VM cable comes through the wall - one cable coming in with two or three out (one for your router and one to each TiVo).  Check that all connections are tight.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 19 (257 Views)

I've got a somilar issue but a bit more consistent

83f8103d76342bd20934dcd6f391b488

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 19 (216 Views)

I checked the box/splitter and all the nuts and such were tight. The delayed reply was because the packet loss and such stopped after that and so I assumed it had fixed so I decided to do some stress testing and streamed to twitch however it seems that the packet loss has returned, alongside an increased latency even when I'm not streaming or even at home. The packet loss also appears a lot more consistent than before.

graph2.png

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 19 (212 Views)

Out of interest, do you have anything plugged into your superhub? Specifically, anything in port 1?
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 9 of 19 (207 Views)

There are two Ethernet cables plugged into the router, one wasn't connected to anything (unplugged the device is was connected to a while back) and the other one is to my desktop however nothing was plugged into the port nearest the power cord (which I assume is port 1)

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 19 (201 Views)

Try moving the active device to a port in the middle. Seems to have resolved my issues last night. Dunno if it's just a fault on my kit, though
0 Kudos