Menu
Dallaelf
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ps4 not connecting to wifi

Hi I've not been able to game on ps4 network or steam netflix. Either too slow or no connection. Had no problem borrowing neighbours wifi.

Virgin cryptic on phone saying something about Tivo not working but shouldn't impact gaming no? Not sure what to do... internet used for two main reasons... streaming and gaming
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ps4 not connecting to wifi

Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors so it is not something VM can control or guarantee, no ISP can.  The VM hubs, like all free ISP routers, are basic devices that for some people are fine but for others not so much.  VM will suggest making sure the hub is located in a good place and trying different wireless channels, they have a guide here.

There is also a sticky post at the top of the Networking and Wireless board with good advice:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal...

Which PS4 do you have, original, slim or pro?  The original can only connect to the 2.4GHz wireless band the other two can connect to either the 2.4 Ghz or 5Ghz band.  If you have one of the 5Ghz cable models are you trying to connect to the 2.4 or 5Ghz band?

How does it perform if the PS4 is connected via Ethernet cable?  Just trying to establish if it is a wireless issue with the hub or perhaps a line fault if Ethernet is also too slow.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Dallaelf
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Okay so bad title on my part. So it is connecting but gets such bad download speeds the game lags. It's the same box to my old house and had no problems whatsoever so that's not the problem.

I admit signal strength is not bars but gets over 75 percent. Also engineers need to come and add a point for the hub. So far virgin haven't been able to provide an answer. I can barely stream netflix and that's my main usage of internet
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

If you have moved house then your wireless environment could be very different from your old house and neighbouring wireless devices could be causing the slow speeds.  Some good advice about wireless here:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal...

I'll ask again, how does it perform if the PS4 is connected via Ethernet cable?  Without a wired speed test to compare against it is almost impossible to rule out wireless interference.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos