Menu
Mistachill
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ps4 connection speed

I've had virgin media broadband for a few months now, and while it is cheaper than BT, I've realised that the download speed can differ sometimes.

Sometimes it can be 50mbs, sometimes it can be as low as 19mbs.

I have the virgin media hub 3.0, and it is connected with a wired connection via my standard cat 5a cable to my ps4

I've called virgin 3 times now, and they have no idea what the problem is.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ps4 connection speed

Ok it's congestion, however I'd change the cat 5 for cat 6, better bandwidth, possibly slightly lower ping

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The problem is probably the Sony servers that you are downloading from as they seem to be limited to about 70Mbps max in my experience.  The speeds also fluctuate for me, I'm guessing depending in the load the servers are under.  One trick that seems to work occasionally is to pause the download and restart it.  Some people suggest putting the PS4 in rest mode for faster downloads but I have often found that rest mode slows down my downloads.

To prove it is Sony and not VM you would need to run some speed tests on a PC or Mac connected via Ethernet.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

Mistachill
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

thank you ill give it a go

0 Kudos
Mistachill
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have superfibre 50, so that's max it can go anyway. however, if I have better cables, hopefully It can contain its speed, rather than dip sometimes.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I think a new cable could be a waste of money. Unless your cable is damaged then Cat 5 is more than capable of providing 50Mbps all the time.

It could be a VM issue but without corroborating evidence of slow speeds from a PC or Mac it looks like typical poor Sony servers.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos